These Salted Caramel Cupcakes are a dream come true for salted caramel lovers! Light and fluffy vanilla cupcakes are topped with homemade caramel buttercream, caramel sauce and a dash of sea salt!
- 12 Tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 12 Tbsp butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup reserved caramel sauce
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 4 Tbsp butter, room temperature
- 2 Tbsp milk
- Sea Salt for topping
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and light and dark brown sugars, and milk together. Bring to a boil.
- Let mixture boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Line muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk together.
- In mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar over medium speed for 3 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla and continue beating until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl when necessary.
- Add the flour and the milk, beating on low speed until ingredients are just combined.
- Fill each liner about 3/4 full, about 1/4 cup batter.
- Bake approx 20 minutes until centers are set.
- Transfer to wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes.
- While cupcakes are cooling make your frosting. Combine butter, powdered sugar 3/4 cup prepared (and cooled) caramel sauce and milk in a mixing bowl. Beat ingredients together about 2 minutes until creamy.
- After cupcakes have cooled for about 10 minutes, pierce tops of cupcakes with a sharp knife or skewer about 10 times. Pour about 1 tablespoon of caramel sauce on top of each cupcake, allowing it to absorb into the holes.
- Let the cupcakes finish cooling completely and then frost with about 2 tablespoons of frosting on each. Lightly sprinkle your cupcakes with (coarse or flaked) sea salt.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 506
- Sugar: 71.9 g
- Sodium: 338 mg
- Fat: 19.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 82.2 g
- Protein: 3.4 g
- Cholesterol: 80.6 mg
Keywords: salted caramel cupcakes, caramel buttercream, caramel dessert, caramel recipe, easy caramel recipe, caramel frosting recipe, homemade caramel, homemade caramel recipe