These Salted Caramel Pinwheel Cookies are as pretty as they are delicious! They’re buttery cookies rolled with rich caramel and topped with flaked sea salt.
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 30 soft caramels, unwrapped
- 6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
flaked sea salt for sprinkling
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment cream together the butter, cream cheese, and sugar for 2 minutes on medium speed, until light and fluffy.
- Add in the yolk, vanilla, and salt and mix for an additional minute, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Turn the mixer to low speed and add in the flour, mixing until just combined. Cover the dough and chill for at least 2 hours.
- When the dough is chilled, melt the caramels on low heat in a medium saucepan, stirring frequently. Once melted, immediately add in the cream cheese and stir until smooth. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and divide it into 2 equal portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll both the doughs into a rectangular shape, 1/4- inch in thickness.
- Spread the caramel mixture evenly on top of both doughs, leaving 1/2- inch at the edges.
- Staring at the long side of the dough, roll it tightly, but be careful not to squeeze the caramel out.
- Wrap each dough log in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an additional 4 hours, or overnight.
- When you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator, unwrap, and cut the dough into round slices, about 1/3- inch thick. Place on the baking sheet 1- inch apart and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden. As soon as the cookies come out of the oven, sprinkle with sea salt.
- Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
Store airtight for up to 7 days.
Keywords:: salted caramel recipe, caramel dessert, caramel recipe, caramel cookies, easy cookies recipe, easy homemade cookies, homemade cookies recipe