This easy slow cooker chicken and dumplings recipe is quick to prep and the perfect comfort food for busy evenings!
- 3/4 cup diced yellow onion (about 1/2 medium onion)
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 (10.75- ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots (alternately 1 cup of each)
- 1 (16- ounce) can buttermilk biscuits
- Place the diced onions in a medium microwave safe bowl. Heat on high for 1 minute. Stir and heat for another 30 seconds, or until the onions are softened and slightly translucent.
- Place the onions in the bottom of your slow cooker. Arrange the chicken breasts on top of the onions.
- Sprinkle with pepper and thyme.
- Spread the 2 cans of condensed chicken soup evenly on top of the chicken and add in the chicken broth and garlic.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or until the chicken is tender.
- Using two forks, shred the chicken in the slow cooker and stir in the frozen peas and carrots. Alternately you can remove the chicken to shred and place it back in.
- Tear or cut the biscuits into 1- inch pieces and drop into the slow cooker.
- When all the biscuits are added, stir to coat them evenly in the soup mixture, making sure they are all pressed into the liquid.
- Replace the lid and cook for 1 more hour, or until the biscuits are cooked through, stirring once halfway through. Serve warm.
Store airtight for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. If you prefer a more soup texture, as opposed to thick stew add in 1/2 – 3/4 cup more chicken broth.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 298
- Sugar: 1.9 g
- Sodium: 578.6 mg
- Fat: 6.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 18.9 g
- Protein: 40.8 g
- Cholesterol: 114.9 mg
Keywords: crock pot chicken and dumplings recipe, slow cooker chicken and dumplings, easy chicken crockpot recipes