makes 20 bars
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 (10.5 oz) bag mini marshmallows
- 3 cups trail mix
- 3 cups krispie rice cereal
- 1/2 cup chopped soft caramel candies or caramel bits
- 1 tsp milk
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt
- Lightly spray a 9×9 baking dish with cooking spray, set aside.
- In a large pot on low heat melt butter.
- When butter is melted add marshmallows, stirring until melted. Set aside just while you melt caramels in microwave for 1 minutes. (You want the marshmallow to cool slightly before you add your trail mix in, because if there are chocolate pieces in the trail mix they will melt if the marshmallow is too hot)
- Immediately pour in you krispie rice cereal and trail mix, stirring until evenly coated in marshmallow mixture.
- Stir in coarse sea salt into caramel and drop my the spoonful into the marshmallow/trail mix.
- Without stirring the caramel in, pour mixture into prepared pan and press evenly into pan.
- Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting into squares.
If you use the M&M snack mix, like I did, you will need 2 bags, as 1 bag yields about 1 1/2 cups mix.