Red Velvet cake forms the base of a fun vampire cake that’s perfect for your next Halloween party! You can also make Halloween cupcakes with this recipe, see the “notes” section for tips on making them.
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 oz. red food coloring
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Grease and flour two 8 inch cake pans, or 3 6 inch pans.
- Whisk together eggs, oil, buttermilk, vinegar, vanilla and food coloring. Set aside.
- Next whisk together all your dry ingredients: flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix on medium-high for about a minute or until completely combined.
- Divide cake evenly into cake pans.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until cake springs back to the touch.
- Allow cakes to cool in pans for 10 minutes and then transfer to wire rack to continue cooling.
- Level cakes before stacking frosting.
To make this cake into cupcakes fill liners 2/3 full and bake for 15-20 minutes until the centers are set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean! It will make 30 cupcakes
Keywords:: halloween food idea, halloween cake, red velvet cake recipe, halloween recipes, halloween party ideas, chocolate cake recipe