makes 12 muffins
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1–2 Tbsp milk
- *optional 1 tsp vanilla
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Line muffin tin with liners.
- In bowl of stand mixer mix sugar and egg together until combined. Then add in flour, baking powder and salt until mixture looks like a coarse sand.
- On low speed slowly add in milk and vanilla mixing until incorporated.
- Fill liners 2/3 full and bake for 18-20 minutes, until muffin springs back to touch.
- Cool completely before filling.
- Beat butter and shortening together until smooth. Slowly add in powdered sugar.
- Add in milk 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Fill piping bag fitted with a large tip with filling.
- Plunge tip directly into muffin and squeeze 1-2 Tbsp of filling in. You will see the muffin bulge slightly. Continue until all muffins are filled.
- Sift with powdered sugar and serve.
Store airtight for up to 2 days.
Vanilla muffin recipe adapted ever so slightly from Dine and Dish