This is the absolute BEST White Chicken Chili recipe. Make it in the Crock Pot or on the stove top…either way so much flavor is packed into this lean and easy white chili.
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 bone-in split chicken breasts (4 – 5 pounds), skin removed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 16– ounces salsa verde
- 1 can chopped green chilis, undrained
- 1 cup sliced pickled jalapeños, drained
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- Place the onion in a medium, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 2 minutes, until onions begin to soften.
- Place the chicken in the bottom of a 6- quart slow cooker. Top with onions, garlic, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, salsa, green chilis, jalapeños, cumin, and salt.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 hours, or low for 5-6 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and allow to cool slightly. Add in beans and sour cream into the slow cooker and stir to combine
- Shred the chicken off the bones, and return to the slow cooker. Add in the chopped cilantro and cook for 15 more minutes.
- Serve warm.
Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Stove Top Directions: Prepare as written, but use a large, covered Dutch Oven or stock pot. Follow the steps 1 & 2 as written in the slow cooker directions but add in 2 cups of chicken broth. Cook the chicken, veggies, and spices on medium-low heat for 45-60 minutes uncovered, until the chicken is tender. Remove the chicken from the pot, allow it to cool slightly and shred off the bone. Add the sour cream and beans to the pot, bring back up to a simmer and return the shredded chicken to the pot. Serve warm.
Freeze in airtight container for up to 30 days. Allow to thaw in the refrigerator overnight, and reheat on the stove top in a saucepan.
Keywords:: chili recipe, white chicken chili, crockpot chili, slow cooker chili