This is the Best Apple Pie Recipe ever!! Caramelized apples sweetened with a cinnamon sugar make an easy apple pie filling that’s loaded inside a thick, buttery pie crust. This is a true classic dessert that turns out perfect every time!
Recipe for Pie Crust
- 3 1/2 – 4 pounds Granny Smith Apples, peeled and sliced into 1/4– inch pieces
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- optional – 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar for sprinkling
- Roll one pie crust out on a floured surface to 1/8- inch thick. Transfer the dough into a 9- inch pie plate and press gently to fit. Cut the excess dough hanging over the edges, leaving about 1- inch. Crimp the edges using your fingers around the edge of the pie plate. Refrigerate the dough.
- Place the sliced apples in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the granulated sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle this on top of the apples, tossing to coat.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Melt half of the butter in the pan. Pour half of the apples into the hot skillet and fry for 6-7 minutes until they are slightly softened and caramelized at the edges.
- Remove the apples and sauce created from the skillet onto a large baking sheet to cool completely. Repeat with remaining butter and apples.
- When the apples are cooled, remove the pie crust from the refrigerator and pour the apples into the crust.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Roll out the remaining pie dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/8- inch thick. Place the pie dough on top of the apples, cutting the excess dough at the edge. Crimp the pie crust together with the bottom crust. If necessary, lightly wet the bottom crust with a little water to help stick together.
- Make 4 slices in the top of the dough to vent steam to escape while baking.
- Whisk together the egg and the water. Lightly brush the egg mixture on top of the pie dough. You won’t use it all.
- Sprinkle with turbinado sugar, if desired.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until golden. If the pie crust is browning too much, use a pie shield or foil to prevent it from burning.
- Allow your pie to cool at least 1 hour before slicing.
Store airtight at room temperature for up to 2 days, or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
If you like to do a lattice top crust as pictured, follow all the steps as written, but after you roll out the top dough, slice it into 1- inch strips using a paring knife, or a pizza cutter. Place the strips on top one at a time and weave them in and out of each other. Crimp the edges as stated, and brush with the egg wash.
Keywords:: apple pie recipe, apple pie filling, how to make apple pie, easy apple pie recipe, apple pie filling recipe, homemade apple pie, best apple pie recipe