This homemade beef and noodles recipe will be most welcome on chilly nights. Tender beef and flavor packed egg noodles make a hearty and comforting dinner idea!
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 pounds chuck roast, trimmed of excess fat
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups large diced carrots
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups beef stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 2 bay dried leaves
- 12 ounces egg noodles
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Cut the chuck roast into large pieces (3 – 5 inches in diameter). Season the trimmed and cut chuck roast with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat a large (5 – 7 quart) oven-safe braising pan* or Dutch oven over high heat. Coat the pan with the olive oil. Once hot, place the chuck roast in the pan and brown evenly, 2 minutes on each side. Remove the meat from the pan and set aside.
- Turn the heat down to medium and add in the carrots and onion and cook until they start to soften, about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in the tomato paste, coating the vegetables, then add in the beef stock, water, and thyme. Bring the mixture to a boil and add the beef and bay leaves into the liquid.
- Cover the pan and place in the oven for 2 1/2 – 3 hours, until the meat is fork tender. Remove the pot from the oven.
- Shred the meat, you can either do this in the pan or remove the meat from the pan.
- Transfer the meat back to the pan and place the pan back onto a burner over medium heat and bring the liquid up to a boil. Add the noodles and peas into the pot and cook until tender, 10 – 12 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
*your braising pan needs to have a lid.
Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
This dish can easily be cut in half to serve 4
Keywords: cookies and cups, beef, dinner recipe, beef and noodles, comfort food