- 6 egg whites, beaten to stiff peaks
- 3 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 cup cake flour
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the 6 egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together egg yolks, sugar, butter, vanilla, and milk until smooth. Mix in the cinnamon, salt, and baking powder until combined. Finally mix in the flour until no lumps remain.
- Fold half of the egg whites into the mixture until combined, and then gently fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Preheat the waffle iron. Fill the waffle iron with a scant cup of batter, spreading the batter out so it’s completely covered. Close the lid on the iron and cook for 5 minutes. Remove the waffle from the iron when it’s lightly browned. The longer you cook the waffle, the crispier it will be.
I do get a bit of batter spillage from the waffle maker while the waffle is cooking, so I place a few paper towels under the waffle iron to help with clean up.
recipe lightly adapted from CucinaPro