makes 24 marshmallows
- 4 1/2 tsp unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup, divided
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup white cake mix
- 3 Tbsp rainbow sprinkles, plus more for garnish
Coating 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp white cake mix
- Line an 8×8 pan with foil and spray lightly. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine 1/2 cup water and the gelatin. Whisk together and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine the sugar, 1/4 cup of the corn syrup, 1/4 cup water and salt in a small saucepan over high heat. Boil until the temperature reads 240° on a candy thermometer.
- While syrup is boiling pour remaining corn syrup in the bowl of your stand mixer, fitted with whisk attachment. Place the gelatin, which will now be fairly solid in to the microwave and heat for 30 seconds, turning it back into a liquid. Pour that into the mixing bowl with the corn syrup and turn mixer on low and let it run.
- When the syrup is 240* slowly pour it in to the running mixer and turn speed up to medium. Beat it for 5 minutes. THEN increase speed to medium high and continue beating for another 5 minutes. Lastly turn mixer up to high and beat for 1 minute more. It will be opaque and fluffy.
- Sift in cake mix and fold sprinkles in, until evenly combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan, garnish with more sprinkles and and let sit in a cool, dry place for at least 6 hours.
- When ready to cut the marshmallows, make the coating by whisking together the powdered sugar, cornstarch and cake mix together.
- Remove the foil from the pan and peel back from the marshmallow.
- Dip your knife into the coating mixture and cut the marshmallows into squares.
- Coat each cut marshmallow with coating, to prevent sticking.