Candied Bacon Maple Cheddar Burgers are perfect for summer BBQs, potlucks or just a delicious dinner with the family! Topped with caramelized onions, homemade maple barbecue sauce and candied bacon, these burgers are totally irresistible!
- 1 lb thick cut applewood smoked bacon
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced thinly
Maple BBQ sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup real maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp hot sauce ( I used Chipotle Tabasco)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 lbs ground beef ( I like to use 80/20 in burgers)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 8 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 buns, toasted if desired
- Prepare the candied bacon first.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a large baking sheet (with sides) with foil. Place a baking rack on top of the foil (I actually used a cooling rack).
- Whisk together light brown sugar and pepper in a small bowl
- Line bacon on rack. Spread sugar mixture evenly over bacon.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, turning pan once throughout baking.
- When done, remove pan from oven and allow bacon to cool on rack.
- Heat butter in medium skillet over medium low heat. Add onions, salt and sugar and cook for 20-25 minutes until onions are golden brown and soft.
Maple BBQ sauce
- Mix all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and allow sauce to cook for 20-30 minutes, stirring frequently. Allow to cool.
- Mix meat and salt and pepper in a bowl. Divide mixture into 8 equal portions and form into patties.
- Grill burgers for 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Immediately top with a slice of cheese and allow to melt. Remove burger from grill and assemble, but topping with BBQ sauce, caramelized onions and candied bacon.
Keywords:: maple bbq sauce, homemade bbq sauce, grilled burgers recipe, candied bacon, how to make candied bacon