This Candied Bacon Cheddar Maple Burger is out of control delicious!!
Yep, it’s a long title…I know. Candied Bacon Cheddar Maple Burger…
Actually it’s a Candied Bacon Burger with Sharp Cheddar, Caramelized Onions and Maple BBQ sauce. So in all honesty I saved you a few words.
Dare I call this a “trashed up” burger?
There are a lot of players in this guy, but trust me, they’re a solid team working together for burger domination.
And I say trashed up in the most loving way possible…Kind of like those super rich celebrities who always try to look dirty.
The Johnny Depp Burger?
The Kesha Burger?
The JAMES FRANCO BURGER?
Anyway, you get the idea…we’ve got all the makings of a high class sammy here…caramelized onions, Maple BBQ sauce, candied bacon, toasted bun…
But we ain’t foolin’ anyone with all the drippy sauce, melted cheese and well…candied bacon.
Trashy and wonderful.
All this said I am posting this recipe today in celebration of my internet friend, Jessica from How Sweet It Is!! She ’bout to burth a baby y’all.
The whole process is super simple…AND can all totally be done ahead of time, so when you’re ready to grill your burgers they can be assembled super easily.
To make your candied bacon just spread some light brown sugar and black pepper all over some thick cut Applewood bacon…
Bake it for about 20-25 minutes and it will look like this. So wonderful.
Then make some easy BBQ sauce using real maple syrup.
Trust me, homemade BBQ sauce is simple simple simple.
THEN caramelize some onions..which basically means cook some onions low and slow with a pinch of sugar and pat of butter. Oh and I might have added a splash of that maple syrup too…just cuz.
When you’re ready to grill your burgers, just go for it, cooking them to your desired liking. Then assemble the burgers on a toasted bun, which is totally optional but not really optional at all.
Please make these, you’ll just love them!!Print
- 1 lb thick cut applewood smoked bacon
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced thinly
Maple BBQ sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup real maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp hot sauce ( I used Chipotle Tabasco)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 lbs ground beef ( I like to use 80/20 in burgers)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 8 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 buns, toasted if desired
- Prepare the candied bacon first.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a large baking sheet (with sides) with foil. Place a baking rack on top of the foil (I actually used a cooling rack).
- Whisk together light brown sugar and pepper in a small bowl
- Line bacon on rack. Spread sugar mixture evenly over bacon.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, turning pan once throughout baking.
- When done, remove pan from oven and allow bacon to cool on rack.
- Heat butter in medium skillet over medium low heat. Add onions, salt and sugar and cook for 20-25 minutes until onions are golden brown and soft.
Maple BBQ sauce
- Mix all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and allow sauce to cook for 20-30 minutes, stirring frequently. Allow to cool.
- Mix meat and salt and pepper in a bowl. Divide mixture into 8 equal portions and form into patties.
- Grill burgers for 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Immediately top with a slice of cheese and allow to melt. Remove burger from grill and assemble, but topping with BBQ sauce, caramelized onions and candied bacon.
Now for the fun part!!
A bunch of other amazing bloggers have made Jessica baby shower goodies too! Hop over and check out all the trashy deliciousness!! There are SO many crazy amazing recipes here, have fun looking through them all!!
trashed up salads
- Gimme Some Oven – Asian Broccoli Salad with Peanut Sauce
- The Lemon Bowl – Brussels Slaw with Tahini Dressing and Za’atar Crostini
- With Style & Grace – Kale Salad with Apple, Hazelnuts & Bacon
trashed up cocktails
- Dine & Dish – Hot Buttered Rum Cocktail
- Food For My Family – Cranberry Orange Dark and Stormy Cocktail
- Minimalist Baker – Bourbon Pumpkin Milkshakes
- Stylish, Stealthy & (sometimes) Healthy – Apple Cider Shandy
- A Spicy Perspective – Preggy Punch Mocktail
- Girl vs. Dough – Boozy Maple Peanut Butter Cup Milkshake
- Honestly Yum – Maple Bacon Pisco Sour
- Cookin Canuck – Pink Grapefruit Margaritas
- A Thought For Food – Mezcal Citrico Cocktail
- A House in the Hills – Pomegranate Rosemary Spritzer
- The Novice Chef – Ginger Bourbon Apple Cider
- Bran Appetit – Citrus Cider Punch Floats
trashed up burgers
- Edible Perspective – Meatloaf Veggie Burgers with Mashed Potatoes + Gravy
- The Little Kitchen – Salmon BLT Sliders with an Avocado Aioli & Brie
- Daisy At Home – Balsamic Beef Burger with Mac and Cheese
- Cookies & Cups – Candied Bacon Maple Cheddar Burger
- Climbing Grier Mountain – Trashed-Up Steak Burger with Chicken Fried Bacon & Dijon Gravy
- Dessert For Two – Bleu Cheese Burgers + Sweet Potato Fries
- Country Clever – Fig Rosemary Roast Chicken Brie Brussels Sprout Panini
- Foodie Crush – The Best Cheeseburger Soup
- Lady and Pups – Spicy Sambal Chicken Meatball Sub with Eggs
- Two Peas & Their Pod – Sweet Potato and Kale Grilled Cheese
- Bake Your Day – Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich
trashed up tacos
- Spoon Fork Bacon – Crunchy Ground Beef and Cheesy Tacos
- The Fauxmartha – Boozy Beef and Butternut Tacos
- With Food + Love – Harvest Hash Breakfast Tacos
- Mountain Mama Cooks – Crispy Kale and Brussels Sprout Tacos with Bacon
- Heather Christo – Bahn Mi Tacos with Spicy Sriracha Honey Sauce
- A Couple Cooks – Loaded Huevos Rancheros Tacos
- Fitnessista – San Diego Lobster Street Tacos
trashed up desserts
- Table for Two – Salted Caramel, Dark Chocolate, and Brown Butter Shortbread Bars with Sprinkles
- My Name is Yeh – Mini Vanilla Loaf Cakes, All Trashed Up
- Picky Palate – Pumpkin Spice Butterscotch Sprinkle Cupcakes
- Sprinkle Bakes – Cake Batter Confetti Cupcakes
- Averie Cooks – Easy Homemade Funfetti Cake with Vanilla Buttercream
- Sweet Phi – Trashed Up Shortbread Cookie Bars
- Love & Olive Oil – Loaded Junk Food Brownies
- Lauren’s Latest – Bakery Sugar Cookies
- Cookie + Kate – Peanut Butter, Banana, Honey and Oat Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Flourishing Foodie – Triple Layer Chocolate Cake with Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting
- The Sugar Hit – Salted Caramel Popcorn Ice Cream Cake
- Hummingbird High – Breakfast Cereal Cake Donuts
- Top With Cinnamon – Triple Chocolate Vanilla Swirl Crumb Cake
- Bake at 350 – Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sundaes
- Simple Bites – Lemon Layer Cake
- Bakerella – Baby Block Cake Pops
- She Wears Many Hats – Chocolate Covered Grapefruit
trashed up pizza
- Bev Cooks – Beer Battered Fried Calamari Pizza
- Rachel Cooks – Apple and Chicken Sausage Pizza with Macaroni and Cheese Stuffed Crust
- Foodie With Family – Trashed Up Barbecue Turkey Pizza
- Shutterbean – Pesto Potato Bacon Pizza
- i am a food blog – Grilled Cheese Pizza
- My Life as a Mrs – Chili Cheese Dog Pizza
- Simply Scratch – Steak + Blue Cheese Pizza with Crispy Fried Shallots and Honey Balsamic Drizzle
- The Beeroness – Beer Cheese Tater Tot Pizza
- Yes I Want Cake – Roasted Pumpkin Pizza
- Two Red Bowls – Bacon Mashed Potato Pizza
- Dula Notes – Pork Bahn Mi Pizza
- Weelicious – Trashed Up Mexican Pizza Pockets
- Take a Megabite – Roasted Beet Pizza
- Hungry Girl Por Vida – Hard Cider Braised Pork with Sour Cherries and Cheesy Polenta