No Boil Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese is so creamy and packed with flavor…it’s the perfect pasta recipe everyday dinners, entertaining or a game day dish!
I use my Slow Cooker on a pretty regular basis, and have a bunch of slow cooker recipes here on my website. On weeknights, especially in the fall when my family seems to be going in different directions all the time, the Crock-Pot slow cooker is a life saver. Sometimes we can’t all be home to sit around the dinner table together, which is definitely a shame. But, the next best thing in my mind is having a warm meal ready at home for everyone, so depending on what time we all walk through the door we can make a plate.
No Boil Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese is creamy, easy and delicious!
This easy Crock Pot Mac and Cheese recipe is a little different from your average slow cooker meal… this one only takes a few hours, which makes it perfect for entertaining, game day, or whipping up in the afternoon when you forgot to plan your dinner ahead of time!
I have tried macaroni and cheese recipes in the Crock-Pot slow cooker before, but they always require you to boil the pasta ahead. I feel like if you are going to do this step, it’s just as easy to bake the mac and cheese…why involve the slow cooker? So, my idea was to develop a recipe that you could throw all your ingredients in the Crock-Pot slow cooker, turn it on and walk away.
I’ll tell you, it was a super success. Like I am so freaking excited to tell you how to make crock pot mac and cheese!! Let’s go!
Not only is this No Boil Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese recipe completely creamy and cheesy, it doesn’t take all day either, which is perfect for entertaining, kids sleep-overs or game day parties.
All you do is pour a pound of elbow macaroni in your Crock-Pot slow cooker and top it with cubed butter…
Next grated some cheese. I like to use sharp cheddar and Monterey Jack, but please feel free to adapt this and play around with cheeses you like best. The only non-negotiable here is using Velveeta. I know the world has a love/hate with Velveeta, but honestly nothing can match the creaminess it brings to your mac and cheese.
Sprinkle this cheese on top of the uncooked pasta…
Then whisk together some milk, evaporated milk, salt, pepper and paprika. You could add in a little garlic powder…or really any other spice you like! Nutmeg, is a fun option to add to the flavor, or even ground mustard or little steak seasoning to make it interesting! Use your imagination!
Pour this on top of the cheese and stir it up.
That’s it! Just put the lid on your slow cooker, turn it on low heat and set it for 2 hours.
Tips on Making This No Boil Mac and Cheese Recipe
Easy No Boil Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese is a very easy recipe, but there are a few tips to getting it right.
- First, make sure you don’t overcook the mac and cheese. Slow Cookers can vary in cook time, and since this is a pasta dish, make sure you use my cook times as a guideline.
- Make sure to grate your own cheese, and don’t use pre-grated. The mac and cheese will be much creamier this way!
- Note that the cook time might vary based on pasta brand/shape. I used Elbow Macaroni (Barilla brand). Other brands or shapes could take up to 3 hours to cook, so just be aware of this variation.
- Also, you will need to stir the mac and cheese half way through cooking to make sure that all the pasta is in the liquid, and none is stuck on top dry and sad.
- The one consistent negative review I get on this recipe is that it turned out mushy…this is absolutely due to overcooking the pasta. While this is a slow cooker recipe, it’s not necessarily a “fix it and forget it” recipe. Too long in the slow cooker, and the pasta will definitely be overdone.
Do You Have To Use Velveeta Cheese in this Mac and Cheese Recipe?
Velveeta is an ingredient in this recipe that people love or hate. We don’t eat Velveeta very often at all, which is why I don’t mind using it in this recipe. The creaminess it adds to the mac and cheese just can’t be duplicated. BUT I will say that I have had many people make this recipe and tell me that they have used cream cheese in place of the Velveeta with great results. I, personally, have never done this, but I like to give options in case you aren’t down with Velveeta.
So creamy, so cheesy and so so delicious.
This Creamy Easy No Boil Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese Recipe is great for entertaining!
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 (12- ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (I used smoked paprika)
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 ounces Velveeta, cubed
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- In a medium bowl whisk together milk, evaporated milk, salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Pour the uncooked macaroni into your 5 quart Slow Cooker. Top with butter and all cheeses.
- Pour the milk mixture on top and stir to combine.
- Do your best to press all the macaroni into the milk mixture. It won’t be completely covered, this is ok.
- Cover your Slow Cooker and cook on low for 2-3 hours, stirring once after one hour.
- The mac and cheese will be done when all the liquid is absorbed and the pasta is cooked.
Note – Cook time can vary from 1 1/2 – 3 hours based on type of pasta and slow cooker. Keep an eye on the pasta at about 1 1/2 hours and continue cooking accordingly.
Also note, I recommend only using freshly grated cheese. The pre-grated is coated so it won’t stick in the package, which will affect the creaminess.
I used Barilla brand pasta*
Keywords: slow cooker, crock pot, mac and cheese, pasta recipe, cookies and cups, dinner recipe, tailgate