My Perfect Rice Krispie Treats Recipe is one of my most popular creations. It’s the best rice krispie treats recipe, because it’s the perfect amount of marshmallow! Totally simple, gooey and buttery no bake recipe perfection!
So this might seem like a gimme. A no brainer. A “why is she even wasting my time right now?” Well, I might agree with you if I didn’t know better but…
These are THE Perfect Rice Krispie Treats!
Here’s the thing. I am a krispie treat junkie. I’ve never met a marshmallow cereal treat I didn’t like. And in the time I’ve been running this website, I have created my fair share of marshmallow treats, but it all started here with this most perfect rice krispie treat recipe of all time. This recipe has been duplicated across the internets many times over, which I love seeing, and is even featured in my book!
And while I do have tons of fun variations, it always comes back to this recipe. It’s on-its-own perfection, and I know if you make it just once you will be hooked! No browning butter necessary today. No sea salt or dulce de leche. Just krispie cereal, marshmallows and butter in the perfect portions to make my rice crispy treat recipe.
Crispy Treats OR Krispie Treats?
And while we’re on the topic, how do you spell this beloved treat? It is Crispy Treat or Krispie Treat? I feel like it’s a pretty mixed bag! I am fully going with the “k” spelling, but I know “c” has a huge following. These are the things that keep me up at night.
How to Make THE BEST Rice Krispie Treats
Ok folks, I am here to solve the worlds problems…everyone has had that “too hard” krispie treat. You know they one that scratches the roof of your mouth and leaves you with a scraped upper palate for 2 days? Not cool. And most likely you’ve had a too-soft krispie treat where there is too much butter or too many marshmallows making my poor krispie friends soggy and sad. Also not cool.
We’re talking krispie treat science today. The EXACT right proportions marshmallows to crispy bits.
Let me first state, the the ingredients are pretty basic and universal to most crispy treat recipes, but it’s all about proportions!
- Crispy Rice Cereal. Basically Rice Krispies Cereal or any variation of the cereal, generic, fruity or otherwise.
- Marshmallows. I prefer to use mini marshmallows in my recipe because I find they melt quick and more evenly, but you can absolutely use larger sized marshmallows. BUT the magic is in the extra minis that you throw in at the end that don’t melt completely so I definitely recommend mini sized. I also made this handy Marshmallow Conversion Chart to help you figure out how many cups or ounces you will need if you aren’t using minis.
- Butter. I use salted.
- Kosher Salt. Add a pinch to this when you’re melting the marshmallows and magic happens, friends!
Tips On Krispie Treat Success
There are a few key steps to making your treats perfect…you know the perfect amount of soft and squishy, but it still holds it shape?
How To Prevent Krispie Treats From Getting Hard
- Don’t overcook the marshmallows. Once they are just melted remove them from the heat immediately. If you continue to cook the marshmallows they will get hard. Think of it like candy, the longer you boil sugar the harder the candy you get.
- Don’t over-stir the mixture once you’ve added the cereal. If you keep stirring you will break a lot of the cereal and it will get dense when you pack it in the pan.
- Make sure you don’t press the mixture into the pan too densely. If you press it down too firmly you will have very compact treats, and you are going for gooey and light!
- Store them properly and airtight! I will talk a little more about this below.
This is where you can get creative if you’re looking to switch up the classic!
- Chopped Candy. Use about 1 cup of chopped candy and mix this in when you add your extra marshmallows! If you are adding in any sort of chocolate candy it might melt a little bit with the heat of the melted marshmallows, but it will be ok!
- Other Cereal. You can use pretty much any cereal in place of Rice Krispies in this recipe. Try Froot Loops, Cocoa Krispies, Cinnamon Toast Crunch…so many possibilities!
- Vanilla Extract. To give your krispie treats a little hint of something special add in 1 teaspoon of vanilla into your melted marshmallows! Delicious!
- Cinnamon. A little cinnamon stirred right into the melted marshmallows makes these really good!
How To Store:
I think Rice Krispie Treats are always best the same day, BUT they can certainly be enjoyed for up to 3 days if stored properly. If you’re making them for the next day don’t cut them into bars. Cover the pan tightly with plastic wrap, making sure it’s air tight and then cut on the day you’re serving.
If you do cut them and end up having leftovers, you can store them in a large zip-top bag, or a plastic or glass container that seals airtight! Keeping them airtight is the key!
I never recommend placing the krispie treats in the refrigerator. It will make them very hard.
Can You Freeze These?
Sorry, no. This is not a great recipe to store in the freezer. They get very hard and chewy.
Looking For More Rice Krispie Treat Recipes? Try These:
- Snickerdoodle Krispie Treats
- Fruity Pebble Krispie Treats
- Toasted Marshmallow Krispie Treats
- Cookie Dough Krispie Treats
The Perfect Rice Krispie Treats Recipe is loaded with just the right amount of Rice Krispie cereal and gooey, melty marshmallows, for perfect, bakery-style crispy treats!
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 8 cups, plus 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 6 cups Crispie Cereal
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (optional)
- Line a 9×9 pan with foil and spray lightly with cooking spray, set aside.
- In a large pot over low heat melt butter. Once butter s melted add in 8 cups of mini marshmallows, stirring constantly.
- Once the marshmallows are just melted remove from heat and stir in your cereal and salt until just coated in the marshmallow mixture. Now stir in the remaining 2 cups of mini marshmallows.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and press in evenly.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares.
Store airtight at room temperature for up to 3 days, but I always prefer Krispie treats the same day they were made!
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 156
- Sugar: 16.4 g
- Sodium: 193.8 mg
- Fat: 3.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 30.3 g
- Protein: 1.2 g
- Cholesterol: 9.5 mg
Keywords: rice crispy treats recipe, the best rice krispie treats, no bake recipes
Want To Save This Recipe?