This Caramelized Onion Dip Burger is a simple twist on a classic recipe!
Oh friends, today I’m taking a break from the usual sweet treat and giving you something to provide sustenance in between cookie swaps!
I mean, you gotta eat, right?
I made this Caramelized Onion Dip Burger in a pinch…and from the very basic of ingredients! You guys all know Classic Onion Dip, right? C’mon, I know you love it. Anyhow I decided to spruce it up a little bit and use it as a Burger topping! I mean, right??
I got the idea for this burger from my friends over at BJ’s Cooking Club. We have had a membership at BJ’s Wholesale Club for years and years…it’s our favorite place to go when we’re entertaining a crowd, or let’s be serious…I have a family with 4 boys, pretty much everyday is a party!
Anyhow, BJ’s has an entire online Cooking Club (Cook Smart, Eat Fresh), which is fantastic because it provides exclusive online meal solutions and recipe ideas, plus if offers deals and tips that will help make the planning and cooking portion easy, so you have more time to focus on your friends and family…especially this season when we’re all surrounded by loved ones.
This is where my burger comes into play. While I was browsing through some of the recipes on the Cooking Club site I got an idea. That’s what is also so great about the site…it’s filled with new ideas, as well as tried and true recipes that can spark creativity from you!
I saw the classic recipe for Onion Dip, and thought about a new way to serve it! I just made a new little changes to the original recipe to make it a touch more interesting. And certainly you can use the new twist as a dip…totally YUM! BUT I decided to try it as a Burger Condiment…makes sense, right? I kept the fundamentals: The Hellmann’s Mayo, the Lipton Onion Soup Mix and sour cream and added in some buttery caramelized onions and a few dashes of Hot Sauce.
Adding in those caramelized onions takes this to the next level!
You can easily serve this up with a plate of chips and have a “wow” appetizer…
Or spread it all on a burger or sandwich..I’m telling you it’s a good idea!
Like I said, find the recipe for Classic Onion Dip here, along with tons of other great ideas from BJ’s to make your holiday entertaining a breeze!
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced thinly
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 16 oz sour cream
- 1/2 cup Hellmann’s Mayonnaise
- 1 envelope of Lipton’s Onion Soup Mix
- 1–2 tsp Hot Sauce (depending on your taste)
- 2 lbs ground beef ( I like an 80/20 mix for burgers)
- 2 tsp Steak Seasoning
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce
- In a medium skillet over low heat melt butter. Add sliced onions and salt to the melted butter and cook low and slow for about 30 minutes, until the onions are soft and an amber color. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Mix sour cream, mayonnaise, onion soup mix and hot sauce together. Add in the caramelized onions and stir to combine. Chill until ready to use.
- Combine meat, steak seasoning and BBQ sauce. Form burgers into 1/3 lbs patties. Grill burgers until they reach desired doneness…160° internally.
- Assemble burgers and top with Onion Dip.
Want To Save This Recipe?
*This recipe was sponsored by my friends at Unilever and Lunchbox. All opinions are my own.