This cheesy Doritos Casserole is made with ground beef, tomatoes, chiles, sour cream and much more! It’s an easy taco casserole recipe that’s so good you won’t have any leftovers!
Make sure to try my super popular Fiesta Chicken Casserole too!
Table of Contents
- Doritos Casserole is the Cheesy Taco Casserole!
- Recipe Ingredients
- How to Make Doritos Casserole
- Tips for the Best Doritos Casserole
- Variation and Mix-In Ideas
- What Goes with Dorito Casserole?
- Can I Make This Casserole in Advance?
- Are You a Casserole Lover? Make Sure to Try These Casserole Recipes Too:
- Get the Recipe
Doritos Casserole is the Cheesy Taco Casserole!
When I think of comfort food + dinner ideas, this Dorito casserole is what comes to mind. A flavorful taco casserole is topped with crunchy Doritos and melty cheese. What’s not to love? It’s the perfect taco night recipe that both adults and kids will love! AND it’s a perfect game day or tailgate dish too!
You can customize this easy casserole dish with all of your favorite taco ingredients. Make it as spicy or mild as you’d like, use your favorite kind of cheese and throw in your go-to taco toppings!
- Olive Oil
- Yellow Onion: Use one medium-sized onion for this casserole.
- Minced Garlic
- Ground Beef
- Taco Seasoning: I like to go for a low-sodium taco seasoning.
- Tomatoes & Chiles: I use Ro-tel canned tomatoes and green chiles.
- Sour Cream
- Cheddar Cheese
- Doritos: Crush up a bag of doritos into coarse chunks.
How to Make Doritos Casserole
- Heat Oven: Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cook Meat: In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add in the onions and cook for 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and the ground beef and cook until the meat is no longer pink, breaking up the clumps with a wooden spoon.
- Season & Add Salsa: Add in the taco seasoning, Ro-tel, and salsa. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add Sour Cream: Stir in the sour cream evenly and then remove the mixture from the heat.
- Assemble Casserole: Pour half of the meat mixture into the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Layer with 1/2-cup of the cheese and half of the Doritos. Repeat the process with the remaining ingredients, topping with the remaining 1/2-cup of the cheese.
- Cook: Cover the pan with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Then, remove the foil and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Serve: Garnish as desired and serve warm!
Tips for the Best Doritos Casserole
- Don’t Crush Doritos Too Much: Make sure you don’t crush up your Doritos too finely. You want them in coarse chunks so they don’t soften inside the casserole.
- Remove Foil After 20 Minutes: Once your casserole has cooked for 20 minutes, remove the foil and finish baking. This will help your cheese get nice and golden brown!
- Use Lean Ground Beef: I recommend using 90% lean ground beef for this recipe.
- Use Nacho Cheese Doritos: Any flavor of Doritos will taste great in this dish, but I have a soft spot for the nacho cheese ones. They’ll give you the cheesiest, most irresistible casserole ever!
Variation and Mix-In Ideas
Of course all of your favorite taco toppings will be great, but the ingredients you put in your Dorito casserole are entirely up to you. Here are some ideas for what to add to yours!
- Add a Garnish: I love garnishing this casserole with diced tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, jalapeños or all of the above!
- Mix up the Meat: This dinner is also delicious with ground turkey, rotisserie chicken or a combination of ground chicken/turkey and ground beef.
- Substitute Doritos: Don’t like Doritos? Use your choice of tortilla chips instead.
- Add Veggies: Try topping this casserole with your favorite sautéd veggies or corn!
- Add in some black beans! I mean why not?!
- Use fresh tomatoes and jalapenos or green chilis instead of the rotel tomatoes!
- Switch up the cheese option! Add in Pepper Jack cheese or a Mexican Cheese blend instead of the cheddar to add more heat!
What Goes with Dorito Casserole?
- Guacamole: Guacamole is a great appetizer to set the stage for this casserole. My easy Avocado Salsa is the perfect Tex-Mex variation!
- Rice: This taco casserole tastes amazing with a simple side of rice. Try my quick and easy Instant Pot Butter Rice Recipe.
- Cocktails: If you’re in the mood for a boozy drink, you have to serve your casserole with this Frozen Sangria!
Can I Make This Casserole in Advance?
This taco casserole is make-ahead friendly! Assemble it up to 6 hours before you plan to serve it and keep it covered in the fridge. You may need to bake it for slightly longer if you make it ahead of time.
Are You a Casserole Lover? Make Sure to Try These Casserole Recipes Too:Print
This cheesy Doritos Casserole is made with ground beef, tomatoes, chiles, sour cream and much more! It’s an easy taco casserole recipe that’s full of savory goodness.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion, about 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 package low- sodium taco seasoning
- 1 (10- ounce) can Ro-tel tomatoes and chiles
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 (9.75- ounce) bag Doritos, very coarsely crushed
- Optional garnish – diced tomatoes, cilantro, jalapeños, avocado
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add in the onions and cook for 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and the ground beef and cook until the meat is no longer pink, breaking up the clumps with a wooden spoon.
- Add in the taco seasoning, Ro-tel, and salsa. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the sour cream evenly and then remove the mixture from the heat.
- Pour half of the meat mixture into the bottom of a 9×13 pan. Top with 1/2- cup of the cheese and half of the Doritos. Repeat the process with the remaining ingredients, topping with the remaining 1/2- cup of the cheese.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Garnish as desired and serve warm.
Store leftovers airtight in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 611
- Sugar: 4.9 g
- Sodium: 869.9 mg
- Fat: 36.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 39.5 g
- Protein: 31.2 g
- Cholesterol: 91.3 mg
Keywords: cookies and cups, dorito casserole, dorito casserole recipe, taco casserole, taco casserole recipe, easy taco casserole, beef casserole, ground beef casserole
Want To Save This Recipe?
PIN for later: