Fiesta Chicken Casserole is one of the many easy casserole recipes on my site! This chicken casserole takes 5 minutes of prep time, it’s packed with cheesy Tex-Mex flavors, and is an easy weeknight dinner idea!
I am a big believer in the casserole. Maybe because I grew up eating them, maybe because they are so efficient (everything in one place), maybe because you can pretty much top any casserole with cheese…whatever the reason is, I am onboard with a casserole recipe. AND if you can somehow get Tex-Mex flavors in there as well, it’s basically the perfect meal!
Fiesta Chicken Casserole is a Cheesy, Easy, and DELICIOUS Chicken Recipe!
I have shared a bunch of casserole recipes here on my site, like Cornbread Chicken Casserole, Chicken Divan, and even Frito Pie Casserole. PLUS I have a deep rooted love for Fiesta Chicken. I’ve shared my Slow Cooker Fiesta Chicken recipe as well as a Creamy Fiesta Chicken recipe, and they are both reader favorites. So when I had the idea to make a Fiesta Chicken CASSEROLE, I knew it was going to be good!
How To Make Fiesta Chicken Casserole
The best thing about this casserole is it is essentially a “dump and bake” recipe. It’s an unfortunate turn of phrase, for sure, but it is pretty accurate. If you have leftover or rotisserie chicken, this will be in the oven in 5 minutes.
The Easy Ingredients:
- Chicken: And type of cooked chicken will work!
- Ro-Tel: This is a can of diced tomatoes with green chiles. It’s a great ingredient to use in Tex-Mex food! BUT if you don’t have Ro-Tel, you can easily use a can of diced tomatoes and a can of green chiles!
- Rice: You will have to use Instant Rice in this recipe because you’re adding it in UNcooked, which is great because it absorbs all the flavors from the other ingredients. But to ensure that the rice gets cooked it needs to be instant. If you don’t have Instant Rice, you can cook regular rice until it is al dente, and then add it in to bake. This way it will finish baking with the other ingredients. But for ease, I really recommend Instant!
- Grated Cheese: I love using Colby Jack, but you can certainly use Cheddar, Monterey Jack, or a blend!
- Cream of Chicken Soup: Sorry, it’s just necessary in this!
- Taco Seasoning: This is an easy “catch-all” seasoning.
- Milk: You have to add a few tablespoons of milk so there is enough liquid for the rice to absorb!
- Corn: I like using canned corn, but you can use frozen as well!
What Kind of Chicken Do You Use?
Like I said, any type of diced or shredded chicken will work in this recipe. It’s a great way to use up leftover chicken, or absolutely a rotisserie chicken will be great!
If you don’t have cooked chicken already, it’s fine! Just bake about 1- pound of boneless chicken for 25 minutes in a 400°F oven. Dice it and you’re all set!
What Else Can You Add To Fiesta Chicken Casserole?
There are so many things you can add into this recipe. I even included black beans in the recipe card below, because I make this with them quite often! Here are a few more ideas:
- Sautéed Onion
- Smoked Paprika
- Ground Beef or Pork (sub out the chicken!)
- Chives or Green Onions
- Garnishes like avocado, sour cream, or shredded lettuce
If you don’t have any plans for dinner tonight, I hope you give this Fiesta Chicken Casserole a try! It’s one of our go-to dinners!
Looking for More Casserole Recipes? Try these:Print
This is such an easy Tex-Mex inspired dinner idea. The prep time is 5 minutes if you have your chicken cooked!
- 4 cups cubed or shredded chicken, cooked
- 1 (10- ounce) can Ro-Tel, undrained
- 1 cup instant rice, uncooked
- 2 cups grated Colby Jack cheese, divided
- 1 (10.75- ounce) can Cream of Chicken Soup
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup canned corn, drained
- optional – 1/2 cup black beans, drained
- optional garnish – sprinkle with chopped cilantro or parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly coat a 9×9 baking dish with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the chicken, Ro-Tel, rice, 1 1/2 cups grated Colby Jack cheese, Cream of Chicken soup, taco seasoning, milk, corn, and black beans if using. Stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan, sprinkle with remaining cheese and cover tightly with foil. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 3 days
Keywords:: cookies and cups, chicken recipe, casserole, chicken casserole, fiesta chicken, casserole recipe
Want To Save This Recipe?