Are you a big fan of simple, one-pan-serves-all meals? If so, you’ll love this Cheesy Ranch Chicken Hash Brown Casserole. It takes your favorite side dish and turns it into an easy chicken dinner!
Make sure to try my Potato Casserole too if you want to keep it simple!
An Easy Hashbrown Casserole with Chicken
Dinnertime is a busy event in my house… most of the time it happens, other times 6:00 rolls around and we look at each other and basically shrug our shoulders. When I find a chicken recipe that’s a little different, the kids enjoy, AND I can make it ahead of time, everyone’s a winner. Plus creamy casseroles are my favorite. So obviously, Hash Brown Casserole is a favorite in my house.
This easy casserole recipe combines two of my favorite easy recipes: Crack Chicken and Hash Browns. Give this fun spin on a classic casserole dish a whirl!
Why This is the Perfect Dinner Casserole
I love this homemade hashbrown casserole for a number of reasons. The first reason is because it’s totally cheesy – who doesn’t love huge forkfuls of cheesy chicken? (Correct answer: No one!) Second, this is a protein-packed meal that will leave each person’s stomach full. Finally, it’s ridiculously easy to make – all you have to do is mix the ingredients together in a bowl and bake. Get ready to receive some rave reviews!
Let’s go over what you’ll need to make this casserole. Round up the following ingredients:
- Cream of Chicken Soup: I used 1 (10 3/4 oz) can of soup – you could try using cream of mushroom soup if you don’t have cream of chicken, but keep in mind that this will slightly alter the flavor of the casserole.
- Sour Cream: You can use regular or reduced fat, whichever you prefer.
- Cream Cheese: You’ll need 1 (8 oz) block cream cheese. Let it come to room temperature before using.
- Milk: 1% or 2% milk is fine.
- Seasoning: Use dried thyme, black pepper and 1 (1 oz) package of Ranch seasoning.
- Corn: I like to add in 1 (15 oz) can whole kernel corn, drained.
- Cheese: You’ll need cheddar cheese for this recipe. I think it’s best to grate the cheese because it melts better that way.
- Chicken: I needed about 3 cups of (cooked) shredded/cubed chicken.
- Potatoes: I used 1 (28-32oz) package of diced potatoes (like hash browns), thawed.
- Garnish: 1- 1/2 cup crushed seasoned croutons or butter crackers (I used Garlic Croutons), depending on how much crunch you want!
How to Make Chicken Hashbrown Casserole
This chicken hashbrown casserole is essentially a one-pan meal, but you just need one extra bowl to combine the ingredients in before transferring them to the pan. Washing two dishes instead of one isn’t that bad, though, right? I promise you this creamy, cheesy casserole is worth the extra dish.
Combine Ingredients in a Bowl: Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl combine soup, sour cream, milk, cream cheese, thyme, pepper and Ranch seasoning. Stir until smooth. Mix in corn and 1 cup grated cheese.
Add Potatoes and Chicken: Next mix in diced potatoes and chicken. Spread entire mixture into an ungreased 9×13 pan.
Add Garnishes: Sprinkle remaining cup of cheese on top and finally the crushed croutons or crackers.
Cook the Casserole: Bake for 30 minutes until mixture is hot and bubbly.
Tips for Success
See how easy this 40-minute dinner is? Here are some last-minute tips before you get started:
- What Chicken to Use: You can certainly cook your own chicken, or use a Rotisserie Chicken. Or, if you have chicken leftover, this is a great way to use it up!
- Topping Ideas: Spread the mixture in a 9×13 baking dish and top it with crushed butter crackers, or crushed croutons! Croutons are a little crunchier, so it’s up to you!
- How to Know When the Casserole is Done: Just bake it until it’s nice and bubbly and the top is lightly browned…about 30 minutes. Then you can dig in!
- To Make It a Side Dish Again: You can keep this a meatless meal or a hearty side dish by omitting the chicken and serving it by itself or alongside chicken, steak, or pork!
Need some suggestions on what to serve with this hashbrown casserole? No problem!
- Vegetables: Steamed broccoli is always good, as is roasted asparagus.
- Salad: A green salad, quinoa salad, etc. – whatever you feel like putting together!
- Bacon: Fry up a pan of bacon to enjoy with this casserole – you won’t regret it!
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Store any leftovers you have in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. When you want to reheat them, pop them in the oven at 350°F for a few minutes, with a little extra cheese, or just use the microwave.
Can This Casserole Be Made Ahead?
Yes! You can prepare this casserole in the morning, or the night before, and refrigerate everything until you’re ready to bake it. How awesome is that?
Can I Freeze This?
Sure, go for it! Place the casserole in an airtight container, freeze it, and make sure to eat it within 1-2 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.Print
Are you a big fan of simple, one pan meals? If so, you’ll love this Cheesy Ranch Chicken Hash Brown Casserole. It takes your favorite side dish and turns it into an easy chicken dinner!
- 1 (10 3/4 oz) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (8 oz) block cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 (1 oz) pkg Ranch seasoning
- 1 (15 oz) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 cups grated cheddar, divided
- 3 cups (cooked) shredded or cubed chicken
- 1 (28-32oz) pkg diced potatoes (like hash browns), thawed
- 1– 1/2 cup crushed seasoned croutons or butter crackers (I used Garlic Croutons), depending on how much crunch you want!
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a large bowl combine soup, sour cream, milk, cream cheese, thyme, pepper and Ranch seasoning. Stir until smooth. Mix in corn and 1 cup grated cheese.
- Next mix in diced potatoes and chicken.
- Spread entire mixture into an ungreased 9×13 pan.
- Sprinkle remaining cup of cheese on top and finally the crushed croutons or crackers.
- Bake for 30 minutes until mixture is hot and bubbly.
Keywords: easy chicken dinner, chicken hashbrown casserole, cheesy chicken hashbrown casserole, easy hashbrown casserole, cheesy chicken casserole
Want To Save This Recipe?
Pin this to save for later!
More Simple Dinner Ideas to Try
Looking for more simple dinner recipe to try out?