Cheesy Chicken Crescent Bake is easy, SO good and guaranteed to be a family favorite!
Ok, get ready to throw back to 1987-ish. Yep, I’m talking a full-on casserole, complete with cream of chicken soup and crescent rolls. It’s happening and it’s DELICIOUS.
This is one of my family’s most favorite dinners. Mainly, my kids favorite. I am telling you they love this simple cozy dish, that is straight from my mom’s recipe box…which is most likely straight from a church cookbook, or a magazine recipe card.
I know some of you are probably not on-board with condensed soup, but I fully am in this case. I mean, it’s not an ingredient I use very often, but I will tell you, for certain recipes, there is just no substitute…especially if it’s nostalgic, like this one.
These cheesy chicken pockets can be filled with lots of things…feel free to adapt this one how you would like! Sub out the chicken for ham and Swiss cheese….BOOM, Cordon Blue pockets. Add some bacon and ranch seasoning and make them “crack” chicken pockets. Add some broccoli, and make them cheesy chicken and broccoli pockets.
I could keep going…
But let’s focus on this base recipe and then you take it from there!
You could use Rotisserie chicken for this to add another shortcut, or just cube up some cooked chicken breasts. I’ve done it both ways.
Mix that with some softened cream cheese, butter, grated cheese and seasonings…
Roll out small portions of the chicken into crescent rolls…
And place them all seam side down in a 9×13.
Then make your quick sauce to pour on top…
Add a little more cheese and bake!
So, so good. Definitely a kid-friendly meal!
Serve it with some veggies on the side and you’ve got dinner!
This is a classic family recipe. My mom used to make this and my kids love it. You can switch up the filling ingredients and make it your own!
- 5 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 3 cups cooked, cubed chicken (or Rotisserie)
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
2 (8- ounce/8 count) cans crescent rolls
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Prepare the filling. In a large bowl combine the cream cheese, butter, garlic powder, and seasoned salt stirring until smooth. Add in the chicken and cheddar cheese, mixing until incorporated. Add in the heavy cream and stir until combined.
- Open the cans of crescent rolls. Place about 2 tablespoons of the filling onto the larger end of each crescent roll. Roll up and pinch the dough closed, sealing in the chicken mixture. Place seam side down in the prepared baking dish.
- To prepare the sauce combine the cream of chicken soup, cheddar cheese, heavy cream, and seasoned salt in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring frequently until warm and smooth. Pour the sauce evenly over the crescent rolls. Top with the remaining 1 cup grated cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the rolls are baked and the mixture is bubbly.
- Serve immediately.
I recommend grating your cheese, rather than buying pre-grated, as it will produce a creamier result.
Store refrigerated for up to 3 days.