Cheesy Chicken Crescent Bake is an easy chicken recipe, perfect for weeknight dinners. It’s SO good and guaranteed to be a family favorite!
Cheesy Chicken Crescent Bake
Ok, get ready to throw back to 1987-ish. Yep, I’m talking a full-on chicken casserole, complete with cream of chicken soup and crescent rolls. It’s happening and it’s DELICIOUS.
This is one of my family’s most favorite chicken recipes. Mainly, my kids favorite. I am telling you they love this simple cozy dish, that is straight from my mom’s recipe box…which is most likely straight from a church cookbook, or a magazine recipe card.
I know some of you are probably not on-board with condensed soup, but I fully am in this case. I mean, it’s not an ingredient I use very often, but I will tell you, for certain recipes, there is just no substitute…especially if it’s nostalgic, like this one.
Gather Your Ingredients:
- Cooked Chicken: You could use Rotisserie chicken for this to add another shortcut, or just cube up some cooked chicken breasts. I’ve done it both ways. OR make Homemade Shredded Chicken which is super easy and quick!
- Cheeses: You will need cream cheese, and grated cheddar cheese for this recipe. Make sure the cream cheese is at room temperature because it will be easier to mix.
- Seasonings: Garlic powder and seasoned salt is all you need. If you don’t have seasoned salt you can simply use a mix of kosher salt, paprika, and black pepper.
- Heavy Cream: You will use this for both the filling and the sauce. If you don’t have heavy cream you can use half and half, evaporated milk, or even whole milk. If you use whole milk the sauce will just be a little thinner.
- Canned Crescent Rolls. You will use 2 cans of rolls. But you can easily cut the recipe in half and use one if you are feeding a small crowd.
- Cream of Chicken Soup. You can use Cream of Mushroom or Cream of Celery soup as well. Or you could even use Condensed Cheddar Soup.
Step By Step Instructions:
Prep your chicken and mix that with the cream cheese, butter, grated cheese and seasonings…
Spoon out small portions of the chicken into crescent rolls…
And place them all seam side down in a 9×13.
Then cook the quick sauce on the stove top until creamy and pour it onto the chicken rolls in the pan.
Add a little more cheddar cheese on top and then bake in a 350°F oven for 30 minutes, or until the crescent rolls are baked and the top is melted and golden.
So, so good. This Cheesy Chicken Crescent Bake is definitely a kid-friendly meal!
What To Serve This With:
This hearty dish is a meal on its own, but you can round it out easily!
- A Veggie: Air Fryer Asparagus would be great, or roasted green beans, or even sautéed peas!
- A simple side salad, or a Caesar salad would be delicious.
- A side of my garlic mushrooms would be great too!
How To Adapt This Recipe:
These cheesy chicken pockets can be filled with lots of things…feel free to adapt this one how you would like!
- Chicken Cordon Bleu: Sub out the chicken for ham and Swiss cheese.
- Crack Chicken: Add some bacon and ranch seasoning and make them “crack” chicken pockets.
- Broccoli Cheese: Add some broccoli, and make them cheesy chicken and broccoli pockets.
How To Store/Reheat:
Store this in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can easily reheat these in the microwave, or in a covered dish in the oven at 400°F for 15 – 20 minutes.Print
This is a classic family recipe. My mom used to make this and my kids love it. You can switch up the filling ingredients and make it your own!
- 5 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 3 cups cooked, cubed chicken (or Rotisserie)
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
2 (8- ounce/8 count) cans crescent rolls
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Prepare the filling. In a large bowl combine the cream cheese, butter, garlic powder, and seasoned salt stirring until smooth. Add in the chicken and cheddar cheese, mixing until incorporated. Add in the heavy cream and stir until combined.
- Open the cans of crescent rolls. Place about 2 tablespoons of the filling onto the larger end of each crescent roll. Roll up and pinch the dough closed, sealing in the chicken mixture. Place seam side down in the prepared baking dish.
- To prepare the sauce combine the cream of chicken soup, cheddar cheese, heavy cream, and seasoned salt in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring frequently until warm and smooth. Pour the sauce evenly over the crescent rolls. Top with the remaining 1 cup grated cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the rolls are baked and the mixture is bubbly.
- Serve immediately.
I recommend grating your cheese, rather than buying pre-grated, as it will produce a creamier result.
Store refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- Serving Size: 2 rolls
- Calories: 368
- Sugar: 2.3 g
- Sodium: 797.3 mg
- Fat: 32.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.9 g
- Protein: 12.1 g
- Cholesterol: 94.1 mg
Keywords: chicken recipe, chicken, crescent rolls, cheese, dinner recipe
Want To Save This Recipe?
PIN for later: