Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Bars are the grown up version of a HOMEMADE TWIX, and I will go on record saying they are infinity times better than the store bought candy bar. A buttery shortbread base is layered with a creamy, rich caramel, all topped with milk chocolate and some flaked sea salt for good measure!
There are just some flavor combinations out there that BELONG together. Of course you have peanut butter and chocolate…honey and bbq…cinnamon and apple…chocolate and mint…AND AND AND…
But I am here to say that caramel and shortbread is holy grail status. I made my mark on the internet many years ago with my Salted Caramel Butter Bars. They are an OG Cookies and Cups recipe, and have been made across the internets by so so many of you. Everyone love them, as everyone should. They’re freaking amazing.
Which brings me to today’s recipe. It’s one that I have intended to make (and share) here for a long time. I am sure there are many versions of this recipe out there on the google, but this is the recipe I make and love, and since we’re friends, I think you will love it too.
These Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Bars (aka Homemade Twix) are the perfect portions of each layer/flavor. The crust is has the exact right amount of crunch, the caramel is creamy and soft, without oozing everywhere, and well, milk chocolate topped with flaked sea salt is a winning combo.
The crust can be baked ahead of time…or not. It’s all about versatility here. The caramel is sweet and buttery, and the addition of sweetened condensed milk makes it the perfect texture.
And like I said…milk chocolate…
Spread that gorgeous chocolate all over the top and go ahead and sprinkle on some flaked sea salt to make everything better.
Allow them to set up completely….you can chill them or let this happen at room temperature. Totally up to you…like I said, versatility.
Be prepared to be BLOWN AWAY with how delicious these are.
You can cut them into small pieces for a bite-sized treat or into bars like a Twix!Print
HOMEMADE TWIX BARS! Shortbread crust, topped with buttery caramel and topped with milk chocolate! Ridiculously good!!
- 11 tablespoons salted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/3 cups milk chocolate
- optional – flaked sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9×9 baking dish with foil and coat with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment mix the butter, sugar, and salt together on medium speed for 1 minute. Add in the flour and mix on low speed until just combined. Press the dough evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan and bake for 15-20, or until lightly golden at the edges.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan combine the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and condensed milk. Bring mixture to a boil and continue to boil for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and using a wooden spoon, stir vigorously for 3 minutes to cool and aerate.
- Pour the caramel over the (cooled or warm) crust and spread evenly to the edges. Cool completely.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until completely melted and smooth. Pour the chocolate on top and spread evenly to the edges using an offset spatula. Sprinkle with flaked sea salt, if desired.
- Allow the chocolate to set completely and then cut into squares.
Store airtight at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- Serving Size: 1 Bar
- Calories: 303
- Sugar: 19.3 g
- Sodium: 221.3 mg
- Fat: 19.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 30 g
- Protein: 2.6 g
- Cholesterol: 52.7 mg
Keywords: homemade twix bars, homemade candy, easy candy recipe, twix cookie recipe