This is the most RIDICULOUS Chocolate Cake I’ve ever made…seriously delicious, super easy and crazy moist (sorry). There is so much to love about this cake!
You all know I am not opposed to using a cake mix from time to time. I, personally, look at cake mixes like any other ingredient. I don’t use them all the time, as I find making a cake from scratch is just as easy, but there are times when there is no substitute. Today is an example of that.
The base for this stupid-good cake is a chocolate cake mix. It’s not negotiable. There is a time and place for “from scratch” cakes, I totally agree, but not today.
Now that we are all on the same cake mix page, let’s talk a little more about this slice of perfection. The texture is so soft…I mean we add pudding mix, sour cream and a whole load of chocolate chips. You honestly could skip the frosting and dust it with a little powdered sugar if you feel so inclined, but since frosting-skipping is against my religion I won’t press the issue.
It’s the perfect little cake to take to any party, or even whip up on a weeknight. I REALLY want you to try this one.
The batter is really really easy. Please note, though, I add a box of chocolate pudding to the cake mix, so don’t buy the cake mix with pudding “in the mix”. I know this is confusing…like why couldn’t you omit the pudding and just buy the cake mix with it already added? Great question…
It’s not the same. I’ve tried it both ways and adding your own pudding mix is just BETTER. I don’t make the rules, folks.
Also add in 2 whole cups of chocolate chips to the cake. Seriously good.
Since the batter is fairly thick, the chocolate chips don’t sink at all!
The cake batter is so dreamy.
Just spread it into a heavily greased bundt pan…
And when it’s baked it will look like this…
Just invert the cake onto a cake pan and allow it to cool. OR if you aren’t frosting it (blasphemy) try it warm and die at how good it is.
But if you’re a rule follower, go ahead and make some super creamy chocolate frosting…
And spread it on top of your gorgeous cake.
AND if you’re feeling fancy add a few chocolate chips on top. I mean why not at this point!
And then EAT!
I can’t WAIT for you to try this one!Print
- 1 (15.25 ounce) box chocolate cake mix
- 1 (3.9 ounce) box instant chocolate pudding
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Liberally grease a 10- inch bundt pan with butter or shortening and lightly dust with flour. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment combine all the cake ingredients. Mix on low for 30 seconds until combined and then on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Stir in the chocolate chips and pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes, until the cake is set. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then invert the pan onto a cake plate. Cool completely before frosting.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on low speed beat the butter, cocoa powder and powdered sugar until combined. Add in the vanilla and cream and beat on medium speed for 1-2 minutes until creamy, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Frost the top of the cake and garnish with more chocolate chips if desired.
recipe lightly adapted from all recipes.
Helpful tip… Out of sour cream?
and ps… if you’re wondering if you can do this with vanilla cake and vanilla pudding mix, the answer is YES! I did it for you… CLICK HERE FOR THE RECIPE!