Perfect Chocolate Cake is so easy, and always perfect! Top it with your favorite creamy frosting for a classic dessert!
I know you’re always on the hunt for the perfect chocolate cake. And I will let you know, I have made a LOT of chocolate cakes over the years. I always seem to come back to this recipe, because not only is it easy, with very little prep time, it’s very soft, and packed with the perfect amount of chocolate flavor.
So to answer one of the most popular questions I get from you…here is my recipe for PERFECT CHOCOLATE CAKE!
You can add mini chocolate chips to this batter as well for a little extra chocolate flavor, but makes sure to coat them in flour so they don’t all sink to the bottom!
When you make a good chocolate cake, the batter is always thinner than a batter for a vanilla cake.
AND you could even use a cup of warm coffee in place of the water in this recipe to amp up the flavor factor.
Try this cake topped with:
- Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- Creamy Chocolate Frosting
- 2 Ingredient Chocolate Buttercream
- Perfect Party Frosting
Perfectly soft chocolate cake! Top with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting!
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup very warm water
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 2, 9-inch cake pans with nonstick spray. Cut 2, 9-inch rounds of parchment paper and place in the bottoms of the pans. Spray again with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt on low speed until combined.
- With the mixer still on low, add in the eggs, milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla. Turn mixer up to medium and mix for 2 minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary. Turn the mixer back down to low and slowly add in the hot water. Mix for an additional minutes until combined.
- Divide the batter between the 2 prepared pans. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then remove and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.