This Easy Eclair Cake is a crowd pleasing no-bake dessert. Layers of graham crackers and fluffy vanilla pudding, topped with a silky chocolate ganache taste just like an eclair without all the work!
Looking for more no-bake dessert ideas? Make sure to try my Banana Pudding Recipe!
Table of Contents
- This Easy Eclair Cake Is A Classic No Bake Dessert!
- Pudding, Graham Crackers, And Yes, Cool Whip Make This No Bake Eclair Cake So Nostalgic
- All The Flavors Of An Eclair, None Of The Work
- How Long Does This Take To Make?
- Do You Have To Use Cool Whip?
- How Long Does Eclair Cake Need To Chill Before Serving?
- Can You Freeze It?
- Get the Recipe
This Easy Eclair Cake Is A Classic No Bake Dessert!
Having a party, a BBQ, or a potluck? THIS is the dessert recipe you need to bring. This Eclair Cake is SUPER easy to prep, is best if it’s made ahead, and feeds a crowd. It will the be the first dessert gone, just be prepared to give out the recipe, because trust me, everyone will ask!
You have all the flavors of a classic eclair in a no bake/icebox cake- style dessert. And like I said, you need to make this ahead to make sure the graham crackers soften, so it’s a really nice recipe to make when you plan on entertaining or have a busy schedule. It’s actually a recipe your kids can help make, which is a fun way to get them involved!
Pudding, Graham Crackers, And Yes, Cool Whip Make This No Bake Eclair Cake So Nostalgic
When you read through the recipe for this cake you will see a lot of ingredients from your childhood: pudding, Cool Whip, graham crackers…
It’s a classic Icebox Cake that you most likely had a version if growing up. My Mother-in-Law makes an icebox cake with chocolate pudding and graham crackers topped with whipped cream that my husband and kids love. This is a spin on that but eclair-style!
All The Flavors Of An Eclair, None Of The Work
I won’t pretend this is fine dining…but I will tell you it’s delicious. It mimics all the flavors of an eclair, but without the fuss. The custard is replaced by a creamy combo of French Vanilla pudding and whipped topping. This actually creates almost a mousse-like texture that I happen to prefer over pastry cream. And instead of the choux pastry, I sub in graham crackers, which certainly aren’t the same, but when they soften as you chill the cake you get a similar effect!
How Long Does This Take To Make?
The prep time on this is minutes. You just mix the pudding together and fold in your whipped topping, then layer that in a 9×13 pan with graham crackers. It’s that simple!
The chocolate ganache is simply a mixture of chocolate chips and heavy cream and only takes minutes to make.
Do You Have To Use Cool Whip?
I know I will get this question, and the answer is no, you can absolutely use homemade whipped cream in place of the whipped topping. Just mix up 1 cup of heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form and fold that into the pudding. 1 cup of cream creates about 2 cups of whipped cream.
How Long Does Eclair Cake Need To Chill Before Serving?
You could make this in the morning to serve it for dessert after dinner, but I always recommend letting it chill overnight so the graham crackers have plenty of time to soften. If the graham crackers are soft enough you won’t be able to cut this into nice slices.
Can You Freeze It?
Absolutely! Freezing this Eclair Cake is a great option if you want to prep way in advance. You can freeze this airtight for up to a month. Allow it to thaw out in the refrigerator, NOT at room temperature, before serving.
Looking For More No Bake Dessert Recipes? Try These:
- Oreo Icebox Cake
- No Bake Cookie Dough Cheesecake Bars
- No Bake Icebox Peach Pie
- Dirt Cake
- Chocolate Lasagna
This easy no bake dessert is perfect for a crowd! Everyone will be asking for the recipe!
- 2 (3.5- ounce) packages Instant French Vanilla Pudding
- 3 cups milk
- 1 (8- ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed (like Cool Whip)
- 1 (16- ounce) package graham crackers
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl whisk together the pudding mix and milk until there are no lumps. Fold in the whipped topping until evenly mixed.
- Place graham crackers in a single layer in the bottom of a 9×13 dish, breaking some to ensure the bottom of the dish is covered. Spread half of the pudding mixture on top of the graham crackers. Repeat another layer of crackers on top of the pudding. Spread the remaining pudding mixture on top, and top that with a final layer of graham crackers. Set aside.
- Heat the heavy cream either in the microwave or on the stove top until steaming and almost boiling.
- Place the chocolate chips in a heat-safe bowl. Pour the heavy cream on top and stir together until silky and no lumps remain.
- Pour this ganache mixture on top of the final layer of graham crackers and smooth with a spatula or off-set spatula.
- Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Serve chilled.
Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Serving Size: 1 piece
- Calories: 477
- Sugar: 51.7 g
- Sodium: 512.6 mg
- Fat: 18.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 75 g
- Protein: 7.5 g
- Cholesterol: 12.8 mg
Keywords: cookies and cups, no bake dessert, icebox cake, chocolate clair cake, eclair dessert, easy dessert ideas
Want To Save This Recipe?
PIN for later: