This Easy Microwave Caramel Sauce can be whipped up in just minutes…I actually made mine Salted Caramel Sauce by adding a pinch of salt at the end..but you can do either! So easy and perfect!
This quick and easy Microwave Caramel Sauce is a no brainer…it’s infinity times better than a store-bought sauce, and it literally takes 5 minutes…so I can make it all day every day. Because that’s exactly what will get me closer to my goal weight, yes?
Seriously just give me a straw.
Which brings me to bad-mouth those people who claim that they don’t like caramel. I just will never understand.
Butter. Cream. Sugar.
Some of those people actually live in my house. It’s basically the most annoying thing ever, right after 1 Oreo left in the packet and folding socks.
Because those are #1 and #2 on my “most annoying” list.
Anyhow, when 50% of us on the homefront get a caramel twitch…I’ve now got us covered.
Oh also, I added a bit of extra salt to my caramel to amp up the heart-health factor, as well as make it Salty Caramel Sauce. Win-win.
Here are the key players…
Just melt your butter and add in your brown sugar and cream…
Whisk it until it’s combined and then pop it in the microwave for a few minutes, stirring once. You’ll want to use a dish with high sides, as the mixture bubbles up in the microwave.
Then, like I said add some extra salt, only if you want to.
Oh and vanilla. Yep!
And whisk it all in some more. It will be a little thin while it’s super warm, but will thicken as it cools.
I transferred mine into a cute little Mason Jar so I could pretend like I live in Pinterest for a day.
And then let my kiddo get busy covering stuff in caramel.
makes 1 1/2 cups caramel sauce
- 1/4 cup salted butter, melted
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- In a 4 cup microwave safe glass bowl (or larger) combine melted butter, brown sugar and heavy cream, whisking until blended and there are no lumps.
- Heat mixture in microwave on high for 2 minutes and remove to stir. Return to microwave and heat for 2 more minutes until bubbly and slightly thickened.
- Stir in salt and vanilla and allow to cool until warm, not hot. Mixture will thicken as it cools.
- Serve warm.
- If caramel cools completely reheat by placing in microwave for 20-25 seconds.
Microwave time might vary slightly, as microwaves aren’t all the same wattage.
Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week
recipe adapted from Domino Sugar