This Easy, Homemade, Microwave Caramel Sauce can be whipped up in just minutes…I actually made mine Salted Caramel Sauce by adding a pinch of salt at the end..but you can do either! This homemade caramel sauce recipe is easy!
Can you make Caramel sauce in a Microwave? YES! And it’s EASY!
This quick and easy Microwave Caramel Sauce recipe is a no brainer…homemade caramel sauce is infinity times better than a store-bought sauce, and it literally takes 5 minutes…so I can make it all day every day. Because that’s exactly what will get me closer to my goal weight, yes?
Also, can we talk for a minute about people who claim that “they don’t like caramel”. Umm whut? It’s Butter. Cream. Sugar. There really isn’t much NOT to love. We’ll just have to agree that those people don’t know delicious.
Oh also, I added a bit of extra salt to my caramel sauce recipe to amp up the heart-health factor, as well as make it Salty Caramel Sauce. Win-win.
How to make Homemade Caramel Sauce IN A MICROWAVE!
You will need heavy cream, vanilla, butter, brown sugar, and salt. I use brown sugar in this recipe (which TECHNICALLY makes this a butterscotch sauce) because we’re not boiling the sugar, as in a traditional homemade caramel sauce.
Typically when you make homemade caramel, you boil the sugar and a little water until it’s a golden amber color. Since we’re cheating with this caramel sauce recipe in the microwave we wouldn’t be able to achieve the caramel color, so I opted for brown sugar. Also we all know brown sugar is the superior sugar. Don’t try and change my mind.
The simple steps for this caramel sauce recipe:
- First melt your butter and add in the brown sugar and cream. You can do this all in one bowl, but make sure the bowl has high sides, because it will bubble up in the microwave!
- Whisk the caramel mixture until it’s combined and then pop it in the microwave for a few minutes, stirring once.
- And this is when I add a little salt to make it homemade SALTED caramel sauce! Make sure you stir the salt in enough for it to dissolve.
- Add in your vanilla last and stir to combine.
Your caramel sauce will seem a bit thin at first. Just keep whisking it and it will thicken as it cools. You can always reheat it for a few seconds if it gets too thick.
I like to store my caramel sauce into a cute little Mason Jars so I can pretend like I live in Pinterest.
And then get busy covering all the things in this buttery caramel!
This is such an easy caramel sauce recipe that I know you will love!
Microwave Caramel SaucePrint
makes 1 1/2 cups caramel sauce
- 1/4 cup salted butter, melted
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- In a 4 cup microwave safe glass bowl (or larger) combine melted butter, brown sugar and heavy cream, whisking until blended and there are no lumps.
- Heat mixture in microwave on high for 2 minutes and remove to stir. Return to microwave and heat for 2 more minutes until bubbly and slightly thickened.
- Stir in salt and vanilla and allow to cool until warm, not hot. Mixture will thicken as it cools.
- Serve warm.
- If caramel cools completely reheat by placing in microwave for 20-25 seconds.
Microwave time might vary slightly, as microwaves aren’t all the same wattage.
Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week
recipe adapted from Domino Sugar
Keywords: caramel, homemade caramel, microwave caramel, salted caramel, caramel recipe