Here’s a recipe for perfect chocolate cupcakes with chocolate fudge frosting!
Ok, so these cupcakes aren’t fancy, or ingenious or a new invention.
BUT they are yummy.
Isn’t that why we are all here?
They are simple and yummy and necessary.
Necessary because you should be able to whip up a delicious chocolate cupcake whenever you get the urge.
A cupcake that is rich, chocolatey, indulgent, delicious….and easy.
You should definitely have a good chocolate cake/frosting recipe in your life.
This is mine.
Really Yummy Chocolate Cupcakes.
Also…since I did my buttercream frosting post a while back I got some requests on how to pipe a swirl on a cupcake.
I am not an expert decorator, but I can pipe an adequate swirl.
Make your yummy fudgy frosting…
I use disposable piping bags.
Please keep your judgement on my disposable bag use to yourself. I’m wasteful. I get it.
I also use my Wilton 1M tip for a swirl most often. You need this tip. They’re cheap, so buy two.
Snip off the end of the disposable bag…about an inch.
I put my bag into a cup and fold over the edges to help me fill it easier…
Now, start with a your naked chocolate cupcake…
I most often do a “regular swirl” and an “inside-out swirl”. Those are not the official names…it’s just what I call them.
Here’s how I do a “regular swirl”.
Start from the outside of the cupcake and work in a circle.
Now an “inside out swirl”…some people call it a rose swirl…tomato-toMAHto
Start from the inside out.
I love them both!Print
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 1 cup Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa powder, sifted *you can use regular cocoa powder if you prefer
- 8 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In a mixer combine all ingredients and over low speed for 30 seconds.
- Increase speed to medium and beat for 1 minute until smooth.
- Let frosting cool for 15-20 minutes before you frost cake or cupcakes.
I prefer the dark cocoa powder, as it gives a deeper chocolate flavor, but you can certainly use regular or Dutch Processed cocoa powder.
Want To Save This Recipe?
- 1 1/2 cups Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa Powder (you can also use regular cocoa powder)
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350
- Line muffin pan with cupcake liners
- In your stand mixer sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and baking powder together. Add in the sugar and salt.
- With your mixer on low speed add eggs, one at a time and then the vanilla, water, vegetable oil and buttermilk.
- Mix on medium for 2 minutes until combined.
- Fill liners 2/3 full and bake for 20 minutes until set.
- Remove from pan immediately and cool on wire rack.
Makes approx 36 cupcakes I prefer the Dark Chocolate cocoa powder, as it gives a deeper chocolate flavor, but you could certainly use regular or Dutch processed cocoa powder.
If you would like to make this into a cake use 2 round 9″ baking pans or 3 round 8″ pans, and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted int he center comes out clean.
Want To Save This Recipe?
Helpful tip… Out of buttermilk?