These Almond Cupcakes with Coconut Buttercream Frosting are the perfect flavor combo! The Coconut Buttercream that tops these is crazy delicious, light and rich all at the same time. Perfect for any occasion!
Don’t you just love a sweet cupcake?
And of course they say you eat with your eyes first (which I think sounds creepy, but whatev) so these are as pretty as they are delicious! I call them Tea Party cupcakes because they are perfect for ladylike type people.
But don’t let their daintiness scare you. My husband ate 4 and he’s still a man.
The cupcakes are a light almond flavor with a sweet coconut frosting. I used Cream of Coconut in the frosting, so it’s a light sweet coconut flavor. If you like a more intense coconut in these you could easily add a bit of coconut extract. Or you could even use a traditional buttercream frosting if you prefer!
I used European Style Butter when I made the frosting for this recipe to amp up the richness factor, but you absolutely don’t have to. You can simply use regular unsalted butter instead!
When I baked the cupcakes I used some almond extract, which makes the cupcake nutty and sweet. Paired with the coconut frosting it’s perfect!
The frosting is super simple. I used Cream of Coconut in the frosting which is so delicious. If your cream of coconut has separated when you open the can dump it all in the blender or small food processor and mix it until it’s smooth.
Add that right in with your butter and powdered sugar and beat it until it’s creamy! Pipe it on your cupcakes and even top them with some toasted coconut if you’d like to!
I made my cupcakes mini, which is perfect for a tea party, brunch or small occasion.
Looking For More Cupcake Recipes? Try These:Print
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup Challenge Butter, room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 cup Challenge Butter, room temperature
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup Cream of Coconut
- 1/2 tsp coconut extract if desired
- Toasted coconut for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Line muffin tin with cupcake liners. (12 standard cupcakes or 24 minis)
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in medium bow, set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar together in stand mixer until light and fluffy, 1-2 minutes. Add in eggs and extracts and continue mixing until smooth, scraping sides as necessary.
- Add in one third of the flour mixture and then half of the milk, mixing until combined. Repeat process, ending in flour mixture. Beat until smooth.
- Fill cupcake liners up 2/3 full and bake for 20 minutes for standard size cupcakes and 10-15 for mini. Remove from oven when centers spring back to the touch. Allow to cool before frosting.
- Beat butter until smooth. Add in powdered sugar and Cream of Coconut and beat on medium speed for 1-2 minutes until smooth. Add in coconut extract is desired to intensify the coconut flavor.
- Cream of coconut in the can may separate. If this happens, mix it together in blender or food processor until combined and smooth before adding to the frosting.
- Frost cupcakes.
- Garnish with toasted coconut if desired.
Keywords: cookies and cups, almond cupcakes, coconut frosting, cupcake recipe