Creamy Chocolate Frosting is a staple chocolate frosting recipe that you need to have in your recipe box. This frosting recipe is buttery, chocolatey, and it pipes a beautiful swirl. This is a fantastic chocolate buttercream frosting recipe!
Here we are…the second week of my Frosting Friday series! Last week we started with a classic, and necessary Perfect Vanilla Buttercream recipe. So, it only made sense to follow that up with the best creamy chocolate frosting recipe you will ever have!
I use this chocolate frosting recipe ALL the time. It’s actually the chocolate frosting recipe that you will find in my book as well!
It really never disappoints. I have trouble not eating with a spoon right out of the bowl, and like I said, it pipes a beautiful swirl!
Tips on how to make the best chocolate frosting
- Make sure your butter is room temperature
- I always use salted butter, but this is a personal preference, you can use unsalted butter, but you might want to add a pinch of salt while you’re mixing to enhance the chocolate flavor!
- You can use regular or dark unsweetened cocoa powder in this chocolate frosting recipe. It depends on the flavor (and look) you’re going for!
- You can sub in warm coffee in place of the water in this recipe to really amp up the chocolate flavor!
Delicious ways to use Chocolate Buttercream Frosting!
- On My Insane Peanut Butter Cup Cake…
- You can use this on my favorite chocolate cupcakes, which is an amazingly easy and soft chocolate cupcake recipe.
- Or if you’re feeling adventurous, this Bacon Pecan Crumble Chocolate Cake, is an INCREDIBLE chocolate cake, with the most delicious salty/sweet crumble on top!
This chocolate frosting recipe is my go-to recipe and it has never let me down. It’s a simple, and quick frosting recipe that is so versatile.Print
This creamy chocolate frosting makes enough to frost and fill a 9″ layer cake or pipe swirls onto 24 cupcakes
- 1 cup salted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 8 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup very warm water
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter, cocoa powder, powdered sugar, vanilla, and warm water and mix on low speed, until the mixture just comes together.
- Slowly increase the speed to medium and beat the frosting for 2 minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Let the frosting cool for 15 minutes before using.
- You can spread this frosting or pipe it into swirls!
Store airtight at room temperature for up to 3 days, or store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 7 days, OR store airtight in the freezer for up to a month.
Keywords: chocolate frosting, recipe, chocolate cake, chocolate buttercream