- 1 1/2 cups Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa Powder (you can also use regular cocoa powder)
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350
- Line muffin pan with cupcake liners
- In your stand mixer sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and baking powder together. Add in the sugar and salt.
- With your mixer on low speed add eggs, one at a time and then the vanilla, water, vegetable oil and buttermilk.
- Mix on medium for 2 minutes until combined.
- Fill liners 2/3 full and bake for 20 minutes until set.
- Remove from pan immediately and cool on wire rack.
Makes approx 36 cupcakes I prefer the Dark Chocolate cocoa powder, as it gives a deeper chocolate flavor, but you could certainly use regular or Dutch processed cocoa powder.
If you would like to make this into a cake use 2 round 9″ baking pans or 3 round 8″ pans, and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted int he center comes out clean.