Easy Chicken Spaghetti Casserole is a family favorite around here! This creamy chicken and pasta recipe will provide ample leftovers for the week ahead, too.
Make sure to try my Angel Chicken Recipe too!
(This post was originally published in 2014. The photos and tips have been updated in 2021, but the recipe remains the same.)
Cozy Chicken Spaghetti Casserole
During the school year, as I’m sure you know, weeknights can get hectic. But making a quick, simple dinner is the first step to getting everything under control! My go-to dinner recipe in these kinds of situations is this cozy Chicken Spaghetti Casserole.
It’s made with spaghetti (obviously), Rotisserie chicken, cream of chicken soup, tomato sauce, and more! Hearty comfort food that demands you come back for seconds? Sign me up!
The whole entire family LOVES this homemade casserole. And I love that they love it because life is so much easier when everybody’s stomach is happy!
So, what do you need to throw this spaghetti casserole together? Here are the essentials:
- Spaghetti: You’ll need 1 lb, broken and cooked to al dente spaghetti.
- Chicken: Approximately 4 cups cooked cubed or shredded chicken. I used 1 Rotisserie Chicken.
- Cream of Chicken Soup: Use 1 (10.5 oz) can.
- Tomato Sauce: 1 (15 oz ) can. Whatever your favorite brand is will work!
- Butter: I like to use salted butter
- Sour Cream: You’ll need about 16 oz for the sauce.
- Seasonings/Spices: Use 1 Tbsp dried parsley (or 2-3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley), 1 tsp Italian seasoning, 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cheddar Cheese: I used grated sharp cheddar cheese, but you can use shredded if you want to.
- Breadcrumbs: My go-to is 3/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs, but Panko breadcrumbs could work too.
How to Make Chicken Spaghetti Casserole
Let’s get this chicken casserole into the oven! The prep work shouldn’t take you more than 25 minutes, which is always nice when you don’t have much time to spend in the kitchen.
Another great thing about this meal is that you don’t have to call everybody to the table. They’ll smell it baking and come running to the kitchen ahead of time!
Preheat the Oven: Preheat oven to 350°.
Cook the Spaghetti: In a large pot cook spaghetti (broken in half) to al dente, according to package directions.
Shred the Chicken: While pasta is cooking, shred or cube cooked chicken and place in a large bowl.
Add Sauce: Mix in cream of chicken soup, tomato sauce, melted butter, sour cream, parsley, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper. Stir until chicken is coated and combined.
Mix Chicken and Pasta Together: When pasta is cooked, drain and place pasta in the bowl with the chicken mixture and mix until evenly combined.
Add Cheese: Place mixture in a 9×13 baking dish. Top with grated cheese.
Add Breadcrumbs: Combine remaining 2 Tbsp melted butter and breadcrumbs in a bowl. Sprinkle evenly on top of cheese.
Bake: Bake for 35-45 minutes until bubbly and breadcrumbs have browned. Remove from oven, let sit for 10 minutes and serve.
Tips for Success
Easy peasy! Looking for some tips to make things even simpler? You’re in the right place:
- What Chicken to Use: I love to make the whole process a little quicker by picking up a Rotisserie Chicken at the supermarket. You could certainly use cubed chicken breast, but I take a short-cut on this one and let the store do the work for me.
- Spaghetti Substitute: Angel hair will also work in a pinch if you run out of spaghetti. Adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Add More Cheese: You could definitely top this casserole with mozzarella cheese instead of breadcrumbs… gooey goodness!
What Goes with a Baked Spaghetti Casserole?
Wondering what to serve with your fabulous spaghetti casserole? Here are my suggestions:
- Bread: This Garlic Knots recipe would go perfectly with chicken spaghetti casserole!
- Salad: If you’re looking for something light, a green salad would be a great choice as a side.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
You can store this spaghetti casserole in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. When you want to reheat it, simply microwave it, or pop it back in the oven with some extra cheese for a few minutes!
Can I Make this Recipe Ahead?
Sure you can! You’ll probably want to undercook the pasta a little bit so that when you reheat it, it can cook all the way through. Then assemble the rest of the casserole, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate. If you’re not going to bake it the next day, you can add a layer of aluminum foil and freeze it for up to 3 months.
Can I Freeze This?
Definitely! As stated above, this spaghetti casserole can be frozen for about 3 months. Leftovers can also be frozen in an airtight container.
More Easy Chicken Dinner Ideas
Looking for more easy chicken dinners? Check out some of these!
- Chicken Parmesan Meatballs
- Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie
- Homemade Chicken Nuggets
- White Chicken Chili
- Easy Rosemary Chicken Kabobs
This Easy Chicken Spaghetti Casserole is a favorite around here! It’s a simple weeknight dinner that both kids and adults will love. This chicken and spaghetti recipe can provide ample leftovers for busy weeknights, too.
- 1 lb broken and cooked to al dente spaghetti
- 4 cups cooked cubed or shredded chicken (approx) I used 1 Rotisserie Chicken
- 1 (10.5 oz) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (15 oz ) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup Challenge Butter , melted
- 16 oz sour cream
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley (or 2–3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley)
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 3/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a large pot cook spaghetti (broken in half) to al dente, according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, shred or cube cooked chicken and place in a large bowl.
- Mix in Cream of chicken soup, tomato sauce, melted butter, sour cream, parsley, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper. Stir until chicken is coated and combined.
- When pasta is cooked, drain and place pasta in the bowl with the chicken mixture and mix until evenly combined.
- Place mixture in a 9×13 baking dish. Top with grated cheese.
- Combine remaining 2 Tbsp melted butter and breadcrumbs in a bowl. Sprinkle evenly on top of cheese.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until bubbly and breadcrumbs have browned.
- Remove from oven, let sit for 10 minutes and serve
Keywords:: easy chicken casserole recipe, chicken spaghetti casserole, chicken pasta casserole, spaghetti casserole recipes, chicken casserole recipe
Want To Save This Recipe?
PIN for later: