Chicken Cornbread Casserole is an easy and family favorite dinner idea filled with chicken, cheese, and buttery cornbread. Even picky eaters will love this chicken casserole recipe!
I’m thrilled to announce I’m a 2019 Reynolds Kitchens Ambassador and will be partnering this year with them on some fun new recipes! Thank you for supporting the brands that make this website possible!
I grew up in a casserole house. My mom turned just about everything into a casserole, from the main dish, to side dishes, to desserts…I mean hello Chocolate Lasagna! Her Chicken Divan Casserole was on our regular meal time rotation, as well as a dish similar to today’s Chicken Cornbread Casserole! And apparently since the apple doesn’t fall from the tree, I have fully embraced the art of the casserole.
This is an easy Chicken Casserole Recipe that the whole family will love!
Chicken Cornbread Casserole is the perfect weeknight meal. It’s simple to prep, and if you use the shortcuts that I share today, like using a rotisserie chicken, it is an even bigger time saver! This chicken casserole recipe is even a great meal to double! You can easily make two at a time with very minimal effort. Make one for tonight and freeze one for later, it’s really a no brainer. This is also a great dish to make on busy school nights. I prepare it, and then cover it with foil and leave it in the warm oven and everyone can make a plate when they’re running in between sports practices.
Another time-saving “trick” I use when I prepare this chicken casserole is using Reynolds Kitchens Quick Cut Plastic Wrap to steam the onions in the microwave, instead of sautéing them . Let me show you…
Let’s start with the Plastic Wrap itself. A common issue I’ve always had with Plastic Wrap was cutting it and getting a smooth edge. I mean I know we’ve all been there…BUT the folks at Reynold’s Kitchens are basically geniuses. They’ve eliminated the headache with a built-in slide cutter so you won’t have any more jagged edges. HELLO YES!!
Plus they have included a “Grip Strip” that will hold the Plastic Wrap in place for the next time that you use it.
How To Steam Onions in the Microwave
The thing with some casserole, soup, and meatloaf recipes, is they call for raw onions. But a lot of the time, in these recipes the onions don’t cook down all the way, leaving them a tad crunchy, which is a huge pet peeve. Generally I will sauté the onions and then add them to the recipe, but this trick I am sharing today saves that step entirely! It’s SO great!
All you do is dice your onions and place them in a small bowl. Cover the bowl with Reynolds Kitchen Quick Cut Plastic Wrap, which is BPA free, and cut a small slit in the top. Microwave them on high for 1 minute and you’re all set! This quick steam method softens the onions enough that once combined in your casserole they cook fully! It’s a pretty great and easy trick!
Please note: Reynolds Kitchens recommends not to microwave the Plastic Wrap for any longer than 3 minutes.
How Do You Make Chicken Cornbread Casserole?
This casserole recipe literally takes minutes to prep! Here are a few tips:
- Use a rotisserie chicken! This is huge in so many chicken recipes. You can certainly make your own chicken ahead and cut it into 1- inch cubes if you prefer.
- Use a cornbread mix to prepare the topping. A boxed mix can really be a huge time saver in meal prepping, and I will take all the shortcuts I can!
- You can make this in a 2- quart baking dish, like pictured OR you can bake it in a 9×13 dish. The bake times will only vary slightly, and both work great.
Tips for Making Chicken Casserole:
- Add in other veggies! Carrots, celery, bell peppers, or even jalapeno pepper would be great in this casserole! AND using the easy steam method with Plastic Wrap works great!
- You can sub in any type of cheese for the cheddar cheese used in this recipe, or even combine two of your favorites!
- I garnished this chicken cornbread casserole with green onions, but you could use parsley, cilantro, or any type of herb you like!
- You could use ground turkey, ham, or pork in this recipe as well!
Looking for more chicken recipes? Try these:Print
This is an easy family favorite chicken casserole recipe!
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 cups cubed chicken breast, or Rotisserie Chicken, shredded
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 (8.5- ounce) box cornbread mix
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 (14.75- ounce) can creamed corn
- 1 egg
- optional – garnish with green onions
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 2- quart baking dish lightly with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Place onions and garlic in a small microwave-safe bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Cut a small slit in the top of the plastic wrap and microwave for 1 minute. Remove the bowl from the microwave.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, bouillon, sour cream, milk, salt, pepper, and steamed onions and garlic. Mix until incorporated. Add in the cheese and stir to combine.
- Spread the chicken mixture in the prepared baking dish and set aside.
- In the same bowl combine the cornbread mix, butter, creamed corn, and egg. Stir until smooth.
- Spread the cornbread mixture on top of the chicken mixture.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the center of the cornbread is set.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving, garnish with green onions if desired.
store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Keywords:: chicken, cookies and cups, chicken casserole, casserole, dinner, recipe