This Cheesy Chili Mac Casserole is the ultimate comfort food dinner recipe Combine flavor packed chili with macaroni, top it off with cheese and bake!
Chili Mac Casserole Is the Ultimate Comfort Food!
This casserole recipe incorporates just about everything I love in comfort food. You have pasta, cheese, and chili. I mean…
A big bowl of this gooey, warm casserole on a cold day is my idea of cozy. But also know this is a great weeknight dinner too! You can even prep this ahead to pop in the oven for dinner.
Cheesy Chili Mac Casserole Is An Easy Family Fave
There isn’t a whole lot not to like about this easy dish. You can certainly even alter the chili recipe to fit your taste. Not a fan of black beans? Try a different kind, or leave them out completely! Prefer to use ground turkey instead of beef? Absolutely! Can’t find fire-roasted tomatoes? No worries use regular diced!
There are so many ways to adapt this recipe to suit your own families preferences, so feel free to get creative!
What If You Don’t Have Large Elbow Macaroni?
No problem at all…you can sub just about any pasta into this recipe. Chili over pasta is a Cincinnati tradition, so this is kind of like that!
And although you can use long noodles, I would recommend a smaller, bite sized pasta, because it will be easier to mix into and eat in the casserole!
Could You Use Rice Instead?
I grew up eating chili on top of rice…that was just how my mom made it, so of course you could use rice in this casserole instead of pasta. I would recommend 1 1/2 cups of cooked rice!
Don’t Let The Number Of Ingredients Scare You…
There is a ton of flavor in this chili mac! Essentially you’re making a thick chili on its own before you add in the macaroni, so most of the ingredients in this are spices. You can adjust the seasoning to you preference, but that’s why the ingredient list is so long! But don’t worry…chances are you have most of these in your spice drawer already!
Looking For More Casserole Recipes? I’ve Got Some Great Ones To Try…
- Chicken Cornbread Casserole
- Cheesy Ranch Chicken Hashbrown Casserole
- Easy Squash Casserole
- Potato Casserole
This easy chili casserole is comfort food at its finest!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion (1 small onion)
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15- ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15- ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6- ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (4- ounce) can chopped green chilis
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 (7- ounce) can Mexicorn, drained
- 1 (15- ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups uncooked large elbow macaroni
- 1 1/2 cups grated Mexican cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly coat a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a large, deep skillet or Dutch Oven heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions to the pan and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Turn the heat up to medium-high and add in the ground beef. Cook until no longer pink. Add in the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes. Drain excess liquid in pan if necessary.
- Add in the fire roasted tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, green chilis, salt, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, corn, and black beans. Stir to combine. Bring mixture to a boil and then turn heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Bring a pot water to a boil and cook the macaroni according to package directions. Drain and add the pasta to the chili mixture, stirring to combine.
- Transfer mixture to your prepared baking dish and top with the grated cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and mixture is bubbly.
- Serve immediately.
Optional garnishes: cilantro, sour cream, green onions, avocado, and tortilla chips. Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Keywords:: cookies and cups, chili, casserole recipe, chili mac casserole, chili casserole
Want To Save This Recipe?
Pin for Later