These extra cute cookies are easy to make and you get to enjoy a chocolate and vanilla cookie in one!
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg, plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment mix together the butter and sugar for 2 minutes.
- Add in the egg, the yolk, vanilla, baking powder, and salt and mix for 1 minute until smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Turn the mixer to low and add in the flour, mixing until just combined.
- Divide the dough in half, removing half from the mixing bowl.
- Add in the cocoa powder to the remaining dough in the mixing bowl and mix until incorporated.
- Form each dough into a squared off log, 2- inches tall and 6- inches long. Make sure both are the same size.
- Place dough on a baking sheet and cover with cling wrap. Place dough into the refrigerator to chill for at least 1 hour.
- Using a sharp knife slice the dough into thirds, longwise. Then turn the dough one turn and cut into thirds again. You will have 9 strips. Repeat the process with the other dough. You will have 18 strips total.
- Lay 1 piece of vanilla dough, one piece of chocolate, and another piece of vanilla on a flat surface next to each other. Top the 3 strips with alternating colors. Repeat this once more, so you have a square log. Press the dough strips together tightly, keeping the square shape. Repeat this with the remaining dough.
- Refrigerate again for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with Reynolds Kitchens® Parchment Paper.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and slice into 1/4- inch pieces.
- Place the pieces on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes, or until set. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Store airtight for up to 5 days. Freeze airtight for up to 30 days
Keywords:: cookies and cups, checkerboard cookies, cookie recipe, cookies, christmas cookies, butter cookies, vanilla cookies, chocolate cookies, easy christmas cookies recipe