Spicy sausage, creamy cheese, Italian seasoning and spinach make this one of the best dips I have ever had!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound ground spicy Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic, about 5 cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 4 cups roughly chopped baby spinach, packed
- 1 (8 ounce) block cream cheese, cubed
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/4 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a pie plate or small casserole dish with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add in the chopped onions and cook until they are soft, 5-7 minutes. Add in the sausage and cook until no longer pink. Add in the garlic and Italian seasoning and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Drain excess fat, if necessary.
- Add the tomatoes and wine to the sausage mixture and cook until almost all of the liquid is evaporated. Mix in the spinach and cook for about 2 minutes, until it’s wilted.
- Turn heat down to low and add in the cream cheese. Stir until melted. Sprinkle in the Parmesan and mix until incorporated. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Transfer the sausage mixture to the prepared dish. Cover with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until bubbly. Turn the oven to broil and broil the cheese for 2 minutes.
- Serve warm.
serve with bread, crackers, or vegetables
Keywords: sausage, cookies and cups, appetizer, recipe, party appetizer