Chicken in a Skillet is a simple, one-pot chicken recipe that’s packed with so much flavor! This quick and easy recipe is perfect for busy weeknights.
- 2 1/2 – 3 pounds boneless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cups tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped Italian parsley
- *optional splash of heavy cream (2 tablespoons)
- Season both sides of the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Place the bread crumbs on a plate or in a shallow dish. Coat each chicken breast in breadcrumbs and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the chicken broth, tomato paste, oregano, thyme, red pepper, and garlic. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large (10- inch) skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, brown the chicken on each side, 2-3 minutes. Return all the chicken back to the skillet, lower the temperature to medium-low. Add the mushrooms and the chicken broth mixture. Cover the pot and cook for 20 minutes. Remove the lid and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes to reduce and thicken the sauce.
- Add splash of heavy cream if desired, and stir to combine. Garnish with parsley.
- Serve over rice, pasta, or mashed potatoes.
adapted from all recipes
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 190
- Sugar: 3.9 g
- Sodium: 228 mg
- Fat: 12.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 9.4 g
- Protein: 11.9 g
- Cholesterol: 23.1 mg
Keywords: chicken in a skillet, chicken in a skillet recipe, chicken skillet recipe, chicken skillet, chicken on skillet recipe, skillet chicken breast recipe, how to cook chicken skillet, how to cook chicken in a skillet, how to cook chicken