Chicken in a Skillet is a simple, one pot chicken recipe that is packed with so much flavor! Perfect for busy weeknights!
I have been dinner-lazy lately. It happens slowly. One day you are meal planning like a pro, doing a weekly big shopping day with your list, coming home to prep ingredients and portion out pre-made lunches.
The next week you decide that you will shop “tomorrow”. You still have some leftovers that need to get eaten…
By Friday you are ordering pizza because the week got away from you.
The week after that it’s every man for himself. Cereal for dinner…just this once. Microwave some frozen chicken nuggets…yes, of course I’ve done it. Make a grilled cheese, and you feel like you’re not a complete dinner failure because you turned on the stovetop. Life isn’t perfect.
Of course, right now I am starting over, fully in meal prep mode. You should join me, if not just for one meal. This Chicken in a Skillet is a good place to start.
This recipe is very, very simple. Here’s what you will need…
Chances are you have most, if not all, of these things in your kitchen now. Plus, this recipe is completely up to adaptation! If you are watching your carbs and would prefer not to bread the chicken, no problem! You can absolutely make this with nekkid chicken!
But be sure to season your chicken breasts well with salt and pepper!
But since I like the texture and flavor that the breadcrumbs add, I lightly coat the chicken…
And lightly fry them in some olive oil. You just need to brown the outside, the chicken will continue to cook in the sauce a little later.
The sauce is just chicken broth, tomato paste and seasonings. Whisk it together and set it aside.
Like I said you will brown the chicken breasts in the pot in batches. Then place them all back in the pan.
I like to add mushrooms to mine. You don’t have to if mushrooms aren’t your thing.
Pour the sauce over the mushrooms and chicken, cover and cook! You will remove the lid to the pot at the end to cook down the sauce and thicken it up.
You could even add a splash of cream at this point to make the sauce creamy and silky! I didn’t this time, but I have done it in the past and it’s fantastic!
I serve it with rice or pasta. Just spoon extra sauce on top. Trust me.
Serve this with a green veggie and you have a gorgeous meal.
I love to use my 4 quart Stainless All Clad Skillet for this recipe, but any large, deep skillet will work!Print
- 2 1/2 – 3 pounds boneless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cups tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped Italian parsley
- *optional splash of heavy cream (2 tablespoons)
- Season both sides of the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Place the bread crumbs on a plate or in a shallow dish. Coat each chicken breast in breadcrumbs and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the chicken broth, tomato paste, oregano, thyme, red pepper, and garlic. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large (10- inch) skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, brown the chicken on each side, 2-3 minutes. Return all the chicken back to the skillet, lower the temperature to medium-low. Add the mushrooms and the chicken broth mixture. Cover the pot and cook for 20 minutes. Remove the lid and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes to reduce and thicken the sauce.
- Add splash of heavy cream if desired, and stir to combine. Garnish with parsley.
- Serve over rice, pasta, or mashed potatoes.
adapted from all recipes