These easy Chocolate Chip Banana Scones are like banana bread with crispy, buttery edges and soft, flaky centers. The perfect scone!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons heavy cream, divided
- 1 medium banana, mashed (about 1/3 cup)
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar for garnish
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- Cut the butter into the mixture using a pastry cutter or a fork until the mixture resembles very coarse sand. Don’t worry if you have butter the size of peas throughout the mixture, this is fine. Mix in the chocolate chips.
- In a medium bowl mix together 1/2 cup of the heavy cream and banana.
- Make a well in the center of the dry mixture and pour the cream mixture into the well. Mix the dough together using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula. It will be slightly dry, but will hold together. Don’t over-mix.
- Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface and form it into a disk about 1 1/2 – 2- inches thick. Using a knife or a pizza cutter, cut the dough into 6 wedges.
- Place the wedges onto the prepared baking sheet, and brush with the remaining 2 tablespoons of heavy cream. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 15- 20 minutes until the edges are golden brown.
- Icing: Whisk together the butter, powdered sugar, cinnamon, and milk until smooth. Drizzle the icing onto the scones and allow it to set.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Store airtight for up to 2 days.
Keywords:: cookies and cups, scones, scones recipe, banana scones, chocolate chip banana