These Chocolate Chip Banana Scones have perfectly crisp, buttery edges with a fluffy, yet flaky, soft center making this the perfect scone recipe!
Make sure you make my Chocolate Chip Banana Bread too! I use a secret technique that makes it the ABSOLUTE BEST!
Chocolate Chip Banana Scones Will Be Your New Favorite Breakfast Pastry!
I hear a lot that people don’t like scones…and I kind of understand if your first scone was a bad one…because when they’re bad, well, they’re badddd. Dry and crumbly with little to no flavor. And really what’s the point?
But if you’ve ever had a good scone and are in search of a great recipe, well, today’s your lucky day! A “good scone” will be have a golden, crunchy exterior, with a light, flaky inside. It will be sweet, but not too sweet. Almost like the perfect combination of a biscuit and a muffin.
And these Chocolate Chip Banana Scones take that one step further…think a biscuit, meets chocolate chip banana bread. Unexpectedly perfect!
Looking For More Scones Recipes? Try These:
Banana Scones Are Easy!
Here’s the thing, scones are very simple to make, and honestly pretty tough to mess up if you have a good recipe. There are a few tricks to help ensure success though:
- Make sure your butter is cold. The cold butter melts into the dough creating the flakiness that makes them irresistible.
- Cut your butter into cubes. This helps it mix in faster without warming up the butter too much.
- Bake at a high temperature so the outsides get crispy, while the inside stays soft and flaky.
- Topping with turbinado sugar (Sugar In The Raw) gives you extra crunch, which is my favorite part of a scone.
How To Make Scones…
Gather your ingredients first, here’s what you will need:
- heavy cream
- 1 mashed banana
- all purpose flour
- baking powder
- kosher salt
- brown sugar
- chocolate chips
- turbinado sugar
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon, and salt together.
- Cut the butter into the mixture using a pastry cutter. You can also use a fork. Mix in your chocolate chips
- Then whisk together your wet ingredients…the banana, heavy cream and add them into the flour mixture, like you would if you were making banana bread.
- Lightly knead the dough on a floured work surface and then cut into wedges. Sprinkle on some crunchy coarse turbinado sugar and bake!
- When they’re done drizzle them with a little icing and enjoy!
Are These Scones Fluffy?
YES! The interior of these scones are a fluffy yet flaky soft banana bread, and the outside has a buttery crunch.
Can You Add Nuts?
You absolutely can. Mix in 1/2 cup of chopped pecans or walnuts if you would like! If you would like to leave out the chocolate chips that’s fine too!
How To Store Scones…
If these happen to make it beyond 10 minutes of baking them, I give you credit for self control. To store them, place them in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
And you can absolutely freeze them as well! Just allow them to thaw out at room temperature. After they’re frozen and thawed you can place them in a 350°F oven for 3-4 minutes to reheat, and get the edges crisp again.
I would recommend if you plan on doing this to wait until you’re ready to serve to drizzle with icing! Enjoy!Print
These easy Chocolate Chip Banana Scones are like banana bread with crispy, buttery edges and soft, flaky centers. The perfect scone!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons heavy cream, divided
- 1 medium banana, mashed (about 1/3 cup)
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar for garnish
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- Cut the butter into the mixture using a pastry cutter or a fork until the mixture resembles very coarse sand. Don’t worry if you have butter the size of peas throughout the mixture, this is fine. Mix in the chocolate chips.
- In a medium bowl mix together 1/2 cup of the heavy cream and banana.
- Make a well in the center of the dry mixture and pour the cream mixture into the well. Mix the dough together using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula. It will be slightly dry, but will hold together. Don’t over-mix.
- Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface and form it into a disk about 1 1/2 – 2- inches thick. Using a knife or a pizza cutter, cut the dough into 6 wedges.
- Place the wedges onto the prepared baking sheet, and brush with the remaining 2 tablespoons of heavy cream. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 15- 20 minutes until the edges are golden brown.
- Icing: Whisk together the butter, powdered sugar, cinnamon, and milk until smooth. Drizzle the icing onto the scones and allow it to set.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Store airtight for up to 2 days.
Keywords:: cookies and cups, scones, scones recipe, banana scones, chocolate chip banana
Want To Save This Recipe?
PIN for later: