makes 15 sandwich cookies
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 14 oz sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup Evaporated Milk (you can sub in heavy cream if desired)
- Preheat oven to 325°
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- In bowl of stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment beat egg whites, sugar vanilla and salt together until foamy and sugar is almost dissolved. 1-2 minutes. You don’t want peaks to form.
- Stir in coconut.
- Drop coconut by rounded tablespoon onto lined pan. Press each mound down, so they are slightly flattened.
- Bake for 20 minutes, turning pan halfway through baking.
- Allow to cool on pan for 3-4 minutes and transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Beat butter in mixing bowl until smooth
- In a separate bowl whisk together powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Add this mixture into the butter and beat together, then add in evaporated milk and beat until light in color and fluffy.
- Top the bottom of half of the macaroons with the filling, topping the filling with another cookie to make a sandwich.