Earthquake Cake is an easy chocolate cake recipe!
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 box chocolate cake (plus ingredients called for on the box)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Coat a 9×13 pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl combine the coconut and chocolate chips. Pour this mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment prepare the cake mix according to the package directions.
- Pour the cake batter on top of the coconut mixture.
- Place the cream cheese and butter In a medium saucepan over medium- low heat. Stirring constantly melt mixture together. Remove from the heat immediately and stir in the powdered sugar until the mixture is smooth.
- Carefully drizzle this on top of the cake batter. Try and smooth it out so it covers all of it. If it sinks it’s fine.
- Bake the cake for 45 minutes. The edges will be set and the center will be slightly loose.
- Allow the cake to cool for about 30 minutes and slice and serve for a gooey cake. You can also allow the cake to cool completely before serving.
Store airtight, refrigerated for up to 3 days. I like to warm the cake in the microwave before serving, but you don’t have to!
Keywords: chocolate cake, easy cake, earthquake cake, coconut, cake recipe