Easy Instant Pot Carnitas take just 5 minutes of prep before the pressure cooker takes over! Perfectly seasoned pork is cooked juicy and tender, then shredded and lightly broiled until crispy.
- 3 1/2 – 4 pound Pork Butt Roast, cut into 2–3 inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 3/4 Cup Orange Juice (from 2 oranges)
- 1/2 Cup Lime Juice (from 4 limes)
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Yellow Onion, chopped
- 1 Jalapeno, chopped
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 12 ounce Chicken Broth (or sub with Mexican Beer)
- Sprinkle pork roast with kosher salt and let it sit for 30 minutes.
Combine orange juice, lime juice, garlic, cumin, chili powder, and black pepper. Set aside.
Turn the instant pot to saute mode and add the oil.
Add the onion and jalapeno and cook for about 5 minutes until softened. Press cancel.
Add the pork roast pieces to the instant pot.
Pour the juice mixture over the roast. Then pour in the chicken broth and add the bay leaf.
Place the lid on and turn it to the seal setting. Cook on manual, high pressure for 60 minutes.
Once it’s done cooking, naturally release the pressure for 15 minutes, then manually release the remaining pressure. Be careful removing the lid because it will be hot and steamy.
- Remove the meat from the instant pot and place it on a baking tray. Use two forks to pull the meat into shreds discarding any large pieces of fat.
- Place the baking sheet under a broiler for 6-8 minutes until the edges are crispy.
Serve as tacos, over rice and beans, or with roasted vegetables.
Keywords: instant pot carnitas, carnitas recipe, pork carnitas