The best recipe for cozy, classic French Onion Soup made easily in a slow cooker. A flavorful broth and caramelized onions, topped with bread and melted Gruyere cheese. Perfect for keeping warm this winter!
- 3 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 8 cups beef broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 16 slices French Baguette, sliced 1/4- inch thick
- 8 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Place onions, butter, salt, and pepper in your slow cooker. Cook on high for 3-4 hours until the onions are tender.
- Stir onions, and add in broth, wine, bay leaf, thyme, bouillon, and Worcestershire.
- Continue cooking on high heat for 2-3 more hours until onions are cooked down.
- When ready to serve, remove the bay leaf from the soup, and ladle the soup into oven-safe bowls, or ramekins.
- Turn oven to broil, and top each bowl with 2 slices of bread, and cheese. Place bowls on a baking sheet and place under the broiler for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Stove Top Instructions: In a large Dutch Oven over medium heat, melt the butter and saute the onions for 10-12 minutes, or until they are golden and soft. Season with salt and pepper. Add in the broth, wine, bay leaf, thyme, bouillon, and Worcestershire. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 1 hour uncovered, stirring occasionally. Follow steps 4 & 5 in recipe to serve.
Keywords: onion soup, best slow cooker recipes, easy soup recipe