A quick French Toast Bread Pudding recipe made easy with French toast sticks! Sweet and delicious, covered in a rich homemade vanilla custard sauce.
For the French Toast Bread Pudding:
- 32 French Toast Sticks (this is the equivalent to 8 slices of bread)
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup light cream (you can use milk if you prefer)
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
For the Vanilla Custard Sauce:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/4 cups light cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
To Make the French Toast Bread Pudding:
- Preheat to 350°
- Thaw the French Toast sticks (they come in the freezer section at your supermarket)
- Cut each stick into 4 equal pieces.
- Put all your French Toast pieces into a 9″ baking pan.
- Pour melted butter over the pieces.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Pour the mixture over the French Toast pieces.
- Press all the pieces down so they are covered and soaking up the milk mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes until the center is set.
- If the top starts to brown too much cover the baking dosh with aluminum foil.
To Make the Vanilla Custard Sauce:
- Whisk first 6 ingredients in a heavy saucepan; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 10 to 12 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
- When ready to serve drizzle sauce over each serving of bread pudding.
The custard sauce for this recipe is adapted from Southern Living.
Keywords: easy dessert, homemade bread pudding, vanilla custard recipe