- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- 4 Granny Smith apples sliced and diced
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (if using salted butter omit)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C
- Spray a 9×13 pan with baking spray and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment combine oil, eggs, sugar and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes until pale in color and creamy.
- Add in the cinnamon, salt and baking soda and mix until combined.
- Turn the mixer to low and add in the flour, mixing until just incorporated.
- Stir in the apples.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes until the cake is set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool completely in the pan before frosting.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat the butter, salt and sugar together until combined. Add in the buttermilk and continue mixing until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Spread on the cooled cake.