- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 cups fresh berries, I used blueberries, raspberries and blackberries
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg, plus 1 yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C
- Line a 9×9 baking dish with aluminum foil and coat with cooking/baking spray. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine 1/3 cup granulated sugar with the cornstarch. Place the berries in a medium bowl and sprinkle the cornstarch mixer on top, tossing the berries to coat them evenly. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment mix the butter and 3/4 cup of sugar together on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add in the egg, yolk, vanilla, salt and baking powder and mix for another minute until smooth. Turn the speed to low and add in the flour, mixing until just incorporated.
- Press 2/3 of the dough into the prepared pan. Top this evenly with the prepared berries. Next drop the remaining dough by the teaspoon-ful evenly onto the berries. This will not cover the berries completely.
- Bake the bars for 35-40 minutes until the bars are set in the middle and lightly golden on top.
- Remove the pan from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile prepare the glaze by whisking the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla together until smooth. Pour this on top of the warm bars.
- Allow the bars to cool completely before cutting into pieces.