You’re going to love my Homemade Frosted Brown Sugar Pop Tarts! They are flaky on the outside, gooey on the inside, and topped with a sweet cinnamon icing. The perfect homemade breakfast treat!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pastry: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt. Using a pastry cutter or fork, cut the butter into the flour mixture until coarsely combined, but peanut-sized pieces of the butter remain. You can also use your hands. Combine until the dough just comes together.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg and the milk. Mix this evenly into the dough until just combined.
- Divide the dough in half, shaping each into a 4×6- inch rectangle, making sure the edges aren’t left too jagged. This will help when it’s time to roll the dough out. Cover each in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Filling: In a medium combine the brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Remove one dough from the refrigerator. On a lightly floured surface roll the dough out into a rectangle 1/8-inch thick. It will be roughly 9×12- inches. Using a knife cut the dough into 3×4- inch rectangles. Re-roll the scraps and repeat if necessary. You should get 8 pieces.
- Place the cut out dough pieces onto the prepared baking sheet. Brush each with the melted butter.
- Spread a heaping tablespoon of the reserved cinnamon sugar mixture into the center of on each rectangle, leaving 1/4- inch space at the edges.
- Remove the remaining dough from the refrigerator and repeat the rolling and cutting process just like the first and place them on top of the pastry with the filling. Using a fork, press the edges together. And poke a few holes in the tops of each of the tarts.
- Place the baking sheet in the refrigerator to chill the tarts for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg and water.
- Remove the baking sheet from the refrigerator and brush each tart with the egg mixture.
- Bake for 25 – 28 minutes, until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Icing: Whisk together the powdered sugar, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon until smooth.
- Spoon the icing onto the tarts and allow it to set.
Store airtight at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Keywords:: homemade pop tarts, brown sugar pop tarts, how to make pop tarts, toaster pastries recipe, pop tart recipe