These easy homemade cheese crackers are fun to make and perfect for snacking!
- 8– ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed and room temperature
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- flaked sea salt (or kosher) for sprinkling
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment mix the grated cheese, butter, and salt together on low speed until combined.
- Add in the flour and then the water and mix until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. It will be crumbly, but should hold together when squeezed.
- Divide the mixture in half, forming both halves into a flat disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Remove one disc from the refrigerator and using a rolling pin on a very lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/8- inch thick. The edges will be jagged, this is normal.
- Using a pastry wheel or pizza cutter, cut the dough into 1- inch squares. Poke a small hole in the center of each using a toothpick or a skewer.
- Egg Wash: In a small bowl whisk together the egg, yolk, salt, and water. Using a pastry brush, brush the dough lightly with the egg wash. Sprinkle lightly with flaked sea salt or kosher salt.
- Place on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 13-15 minutes, until tops and bottoms are lightly golden, rotating the pan halfway through baking. Cool crackers on the baking sheet and then transfer to a container to serve or store.
- Repeat with the remaining dough.
Store airtight at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Keywords:: cookies and cups, homemade cheez its, homemade cheese cracker, cracker recipe, how to make crackers, cheddar cheese crackers