Homemade Cheez Its are an incredibly easy, homemade version of the classic cheddar cheese cracker! Not only are these delicious and fun to make, but they’ll definitely impress!
Homemade Cheez-Its Are Delicious and Easy To Make!
You might be thinking…WHY? Why do you need to MAKE Cheez-Its when the boxed originals are basically perfect? I kinda agree with you…and certainly I’m not making homemade cheese crackers every time my kids have a craving. BUT I will say that making Cheez Its from scratch is pretty satisfying. Plus, it’s a nice change of pace from the norm, don’t you think?
I’ve listed some fun ways to serve these crackers at the bottom of this post too. Making a snack that you know and love from scratch and have them turn out just like the original is pretty impressive. And this recipe is amazingly spot on!
Today I’m Showing You How To Make These Homemade Cheddar Crackers!
I PROMISE you these are easy. Like SO easy. They’re actually pretty fun to make, and would be a great recipe to get your kids involved with as well!
What Kind Of Cheese Do You Use?
I used sharp cheddar in my crackers, which is what gives them the flavor of the original. BUT you could TOTALLY get creative and use different kinds if cheeses. The firmer the cheese, the better for holding shape and texture. I wouldn’t recommend a really soft cheese like goat or brie. But here are a few ideas that would be fantastic:
- Colby Jack for a milder cheese flavor.
- Pepper Jack wold be great for a kick!
- Smoked Gouda would definitely make these flavor packed!
- A mix of Sharp Cheddar and Parmesan would make these even more flavorful!
Can You Add Seasoning?
Absolutely 100%! Here are some ideas of ways to amp up the flavor:
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Smoked Paprika
- Basil/Oregano/Thyme etc…
- Chili Powder
- Taco Seasoning
How Do You Know When These Cheese Crackers Are Done Baking?
This is the important part! These crackers can go from done to overdone REAL quick… BUT you definitely don’t want to under-bake these, as they won’t have that crunch that we’re trying to achieve.
SO. You want them to be golden brown on both the top and the bottom. If only the bottoms brown they won’t be crunchy enough. But like I said, once the bottoms are browned wait until the tops area little toasty too…this is when the magic happens!
When Would You Serve These Cheese Crackers?
Besides ANYTIME, here are a few specific times I might go the extra mile and make my own Homemade Cheez Its:
- On a Charcuterie Board! How pretty would these be on a board next to some of your favorite fruits, meats, and cheeses?
- With Tomato Soup…or any kind of soup! These crackers would be amazing with a cozy bowl of soup, don’t you think?
- With a Glass of Wine. Have a happy hour planned? These would be super impressive next to a chilled bottle of rosé and a plate of fruit. Happy hour made easy!
- In your kid’s lunch box. If your one of those moms who packs the adorable bento box style lunches for your kids, these would be perfect!
Looking For More CopyCat Snack Recipes? Try These:
- Homemade Fudge Stripe Cookies
- Homemade Nutter Butters
- Homemade Clif Bars
- Homemade Oatmeal Cream Pies
- Homemade Payday Bars
- Homemade Saulsalito Cookies
These easy homemade cheese crackers are fun to make and perfect for snacking!
- 8– ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed and room temperature
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- flaked sea salt (or kosher) for sprinkling
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment mix the grated cheese, butter, and salt together on low speed until combined.
- Add in the flour and then the water and mix until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. It will be crumbly, but should hold together when squeezed.
- Divide the mixture in half, forming both halves into a flat disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Remove one disc from the refrigerator and using a rolling pin on a very lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/8- inch thick. The edges will be jagged, this is normal.
- Using a pastry wheel or pizza cutter, cut the dough into 1- inch squares. Poke a small hole in the center of each using a toothpick or a skewer.
- Egg Wash: In a small bowl whisk together the egg, yolk, salt, and water. Using a pastry brush, brush the dough lightly with the egg wash. Sprinkle lightly with flaked sea salt or kosher salt.
- Place on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 13-15 minutes, until tops and bottoms are lightly golden, rotating the pan halfway through baking. Cool crackers on the baking sheet and then transfer to a container to serve or store.
- Repeat with the remaining dough.
Store airtight at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Keywords:: cookies and cups, homemade cheez its, homemade cheese cracker, cracker recipe, how to make crackers, cheddar cheese crackers
Want To Save This Recipe?
PIN for later