Hot Chocolate Frosting is a wintertime take on traditional chocolate frosting! Made with dry hot chocolate mix, this homemade frosting is perfect for cupcakes and more. It’s hot cocoa in frosting form!
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup dry hot chocolate mix (without mini marshmallows)
- 1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp heavy cream
- In a small saucepan combine hot chocolate mix and cream. Heat over medium until hot and steaming…not quite boiling, stirring consistently. You want the sugar in the hot chocolate to dissolve. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl cream butter until smooth.
- Add in powdered sugar and mix until combined. It will be very dry.
- Turn mixer to low and slowly pour in your hot chocolate mixture. Once all is added turn mixer up to medium and beat for about a minute until light and fluffy, scarping down sides of bowl when necessary.
- Spread or pipe on cupcakes.
Keywords:: chocolate frosting recipe, easy chocolate frosting recipe, how to make chocolate frosting, homemade chocolate frosting, homemade frosting recipe, chocolate frosting