Soft, sweet, and delicious Hummingbird Cake is a Southern favorite! Topped and filled with cream cheese frosting this is a classic!
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups canola oil
- 2 large bananas, mashed (1 1/2 – 1 3/4 cups)
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple, undrained
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 (8- ounce) blocks cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 8 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Optional garnish – Candied Pecans or chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Coat 3, 8- inch or 9- inch cake pans with nonstick baking spray. Cut 3 rounds of parchment paper to fit into the bottom of each cake pan. Place the parchment paper in the bottom of the prepared pan and coat again with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the oil, bananas, pineapple, eggs, vanilla, and pecans.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir together using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon until combined.
- Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pans and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the cakes are set and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool for 10 minutes in the pan and then turn the cakes out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment combine the cream cheese and butter on medium speed until combined and smooth.
- Turn the mixer to low and slowly add in the powdered sugar until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary. Turn mixer up to medium and mix until smooth and creamy for 1 minute.
- Place one cake on a cake plate and cover the top of the cake with a heaping cup of the frosting and spread evenly. Top with another cake and repeat. Top with the remaining cake layer and frost the cake with the remaining frosting, smoothing with an off-set spatula.
- Garnish with chopped pecans or Candied Pecans.
Store airtight for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- You can sub in walnuts for their pecans, or omit the nuts entirely!
- Optional add-in: 1 cup coconut
Keywords:: cookies and cups, hummingbird cake, cake recipe, comfort food, southern food